[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a good book where the main char is a programmer / hacker
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7
File: 1462238561551.jpg (89 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1462238561551.jpg
89 KB, 1080x1080
Is there a good book where the main char is a programmer / hacker but it's not really a mystification or some sort of an hollywood action shite?

Codebreaking can also fly I guess.
>>
>>8006761
Naw programming is fundamentally un-lit

(Programmer here)
>>
Proving the computational complexity of a given function using quantificational first-order logic and real analysis is pretty lit if you ask me.
>>
>>8006806
just because you took a python / java course doesnt mean you know shit from shit

especially literature

>>8006811
this, programming is great for plot development.
>>
Nope.
>>
>>8006815
Come at me bruh
>>
>>8006815
>this, programming is great for plot development.

oh I see you're a fucking autist
pardon me I should've assumed as much from the topic
>>
File: 18616975 (1).jpg (17 KB, 267x400) Image search: [Google]
18616975 (1).jpg
17 KB, 267x400
>>
>>8006761
http://pastebin.com/7dauHtGD
>>
>>8006833
solving problems = plotting

if you present the ruleset right it makes for an enticing read

play spacechem
>>
>>8006761
I think novel wise you're stuck with either non fiction, techno thrillers (which are practically trash sci fi tbqh) or less techno spy novels.

I know one of the earliest what you could call a hacker movie is probably similar to what you're looking for (3 days of the Condor) and that was based on a book (6 days of the Condor), but afaik the hacking and phreaking elements were added to the film and weren't in the book.

I think the problem is a lot of stuff is just plain unbelievable for most people, either because it sounds overly conspiratorial and paranoid (usually the tech aspect) or it sounds too easy and worrying (softer approaches).
>>
>>8006761
Cryptonomicon.
>>
>>8007128
I remembered Spook Country but Gibson is a horrible writer.
>>
>>8007133
I didn't even like Snow Crash, I doubt I'd like that. What drew you towards it?
>>
>>8007138
May as well put in the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo if you're going down that road.

I guess ones that have a similar form thay would fit in or suit a proper hacker type story would be If On A Winter's Night A Traveller and Dictionary of the Khazars
>>
>>8007169
Heck no, Dragon Tattoo guy is bottom of the barrel tier writer.

>Khazars

Every interview I've heard and every Pavic's passage I've read was relentlessly boring. What's funny is that few years ago Azarbaijan's current dictator paid Belgrade authorities one million dollars to 'renovate' a park in the city centre, putting statues of his father (the previous dictator) and Pavic side by side.

There's also a fountain that plays music and changes colors.
>>
>>8007141
Subject matter is interesting, cryptology, computers and some math. Alan Turing is a character in it.
>>
>>8007197
Well ok
>>
>>8007227
The endgame of the characters is also great.
>>
>>8006761
That girl is a literal angel. Claire Boucher of Grimes if anyone is interested.
>>
>>8007293
yeah no i can see the whore tattoos from here
>>
>>8007321
Her hands are exposed showing her tattoos you cuck, I'm sure you'd let her peg you any day.
>>
>>8007335
nah

speed addict eyes are also a red flag
>>
>>8007343
What do you mean friendo? Her eyes look really friendly to me, which is what I look for in a girl because I'm cripplingly depressed and have to generate happiness from others.
>>
>>8007367
i mean that manic pixies are always damaged goods

worst trait in a woman
>>
>>8007372
You're right honestly; I just think she's definitely a qt3.14 who I would want to wife up and talk /lit/ with.
>>
>>8007397
from what i've seen she's an utter retard that took everything taught in sociology class ad verbatim.
>>
>>8007405
Ah man that's tough- maybe I can change that. Her lisp is cute to me honestly.
>>
do novelizations count?
>>
I don't think I've ever seen any real media do programmers right. The closest thing has always been the cult classic films who got incorporated into subculture.
>>
>>8006761
This series. It's a collection of short stories that together add up to a bigger story. The gimmick is that the authors are actual hackers and describe in deep technical detail how to do everything. I'm serious: half the book is raw source code and copy pasta of command line terminals. It's a pity the actual writing is terrible but it's still a cool series of books. I wish there were more like it.
>>
>>8007613
Thanks

Have you read Mitnick's autobiography? It's really entertaining and mostly about social engineering.

>>8007577
If the prose is good
>>
File: tmp_14976-8161381145437.jpg (52 KB, 295x475) Image search: [Google]
tmp_14976-8161381145437.jpg
52 KB, 295x475
>>8007631

No, but I did have The Art of Intrusion and The Art of Deception on my shelf as a lad. Never finished reading either all the way through though.

Cryptonomicon is about a lot of things but the parts set in the present day are pretty spot on for the technical details. An appendix includes the actual Perl script used by the protagonist to escape a sticky situation along with a white paper on an encryption algorithm that uses a carefully arranged deck of cards as the medium.
>>
>>8006761
tell you this, if they don't mystify the figure of a typical hackers, then it will look like shit because hacker is a fucking pathetic, boring, shitty job that only lazy asses who are too lazy to write decent programs do.
>>
>>8006761
lol look at that stupid bitches hat. how embarrassing. I wouldn't let me friend wear that.
>>
>>8006761
The heck is this ? Live action Lain ?
>>
Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker
>>
>>8007193
Holy shit, they did that in Belgrade too? Here in Bucharest there's a park near me that was entirely cleaned up and revamped (this is good), but now sports tiles with Islamic motifs on the walls and gates plus a fountain in the shape of an octagon (which is ok, I guess) and, more notably, a polished bronze bust of the late despot of Azerbaijan flanked by Romanian and Azerbaijani flags, right in the middle of the park (which is completely ridiculous). I've been wondering for years why would the current glorious ruler of the Azerbaijani people feel the need to sponsor a statue of his papa, only for it to be shat upon by the filthy, scabby, gluttonous pigeons of a marginal neighbourhood of the capital city of a backward country where nobody gives a shit about his even more backward country.

Oh, and our fountain doesn't play music or change colours. This is triggering my national pride pretty hard right now. You see, here in the Balkans we all know deep down we're shit, so the trick is to find a nearby country that seems marginally shittier to compare against and feel superior. Until today I was hoping Serbia could be that country, but you are breaking my heart, serbbro.
>>
>>8006761
Halting State, by Charles Stross.

The hero becomes part of a police investigation into a robbery of a MMO bank.
>>
>>8006761

I love Grimes ^.^
>>
>>8008009
don't talk about lain ever again.
>>
>>8006761
Neuromancer.
>>
File: Pavic-Alijev-Tasmajdan.jpg (61 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Pavic-Alijev-Tasmajdan.jpg
61 KB, 400x300
>>8008314
That's interesting, it sounds like a near carbon copy of what they did here. I'd say Serbia and Belgrade in particular is astoundingly shittier in public art department considering it was never behind Iron Curtain.

Oh and the fountain has something like 8 angles, six pointed stars or something.

While googling this picture I also found out they put him in Mexico City as well.
>>
>>8008688
why lain is really good
>>8008009
nice get
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.