[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it a common thing that other countries have their own "copies"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: slav kid.jpg (93 KB, 525x700) Image search: [Google]
slav kid.jpg
93 KB, 525x700
Is it a common thing that other countries have their own "copies" of the famous writers? For example, some say that Pelevin is a Russian Pynchon (or poor man's Pynchon). His literary style and even his life-style shows some similarity.
>>
>>8006521
I think pelevin is decidedly more sci-fi than pynchon
>>
File: T1ViuvFLM6U.jpg (85 KB, 498x745) Image search: [Google]
T1ViuvFLM6U.jpg
85 KB, 498x745
>>8006552

Just wondering, what location are you from?
>>
>>8006574
I live in Helsinki, but born in midwest USA. i can't read Russian if that's what you're getting at...
>>
Knausgård is the norwegian proust
Umberto Eco is the italian dan brown
John Green is the american Murakami
>>
>>8006585
How did you end up in Helsinki?
>>
>>8006589
kek'd at eco and green, but knausgård is not proust. knausgård is not a good writer.
>>
>>8006592
Long story. I nearly ran my dad's business into the ground after he died. The guy that came in to save it started doing a lot of work overseas and i'm semi-permanently stationed here working closely with a number of businesses in the area. It's a job much better suited to me and I have a lot of free time to read.
>>
>>8006521
This is definitely true. I am Dutch, and over here in the Netherlands we have our own 'canon' of books that could be considered the Dutch language classics. Those books hold a much more prominent status in high schools than the Anglophone (or World) classics. All the different genres, styles, ways of writing, you name it, are filled by Dutch language authors, that probably all have Anglophone counterparts in the way they write.
>>
I wouldn't say so. They might have had similar roles (Chaucer is english Dante) or generally similar style (Racine is french Shakespeare because he made tragedies with deep and complex characters and his verse is highly regarded), but the thing you described... No.
>>
>>8006521
no because that's just a meme thing to say.
sayings like that were never completely devoid of ironical intents on the speaker's part, you just didn't pick them up cause Asperger's.

They're kinda like a real-life Lord Henry Wotton.
>>
>>8006521
Pelevin is shit, but I guess you can say that Pushkin is Russian Shakespeare (in terms of influence to the literary language)
>>
>>8006819

Russian Byron*
>>
>>8006521
Pelevin is a poo. "Sure, let's copy Pynchon, and make it shittier, because his style doesn't work in Russian. It's not like there already exists a brilliant and original po-mo work in Russian, which could serve as a foundation for new tradition. Erofeev is a stupid surname anyway."
>>
>>8006521
Erofeev is actually good and works in Russian, why the hell it didn't create a po-mo movement divergent from the western one?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.