[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/, i know these type of threads are posted from time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: HowToReadABook[1].jpg (59 KB, 256x375) Image search: [Google]
HowToReadABook[1].jpg
59 KB, 256x375
Hey /lit/, i know these type of threads are posted from time to time, and I'm sorry.

My question is: What are some books that will teach me how to critically read, specially works of fiction?
>>
pic related is good
>>
>>8006065
Start with a classical book that has a reputation for having good footnotes, and good essays wrapping the work.

Something like Signet Classics Shakespeare The majority of good advice on how to read critically are in essays but not the kind of essays written by John Ruskin or other philosophers, but the kind written by editors of collections and anthologies.
>>
http://www.criticalreading.com/critical_reading.htm
>>
Bumping this because I am interested in an answer to this question too
>>
File: 1458946005164.png (470 KB, 994x768) Image search: [Google]
1458946005164.png
470 KB, 994x768
>>
I'm personally not a fan of those "How to read literature like a professor" type of books. They're generally geared towards people who are reading the book to mine every factoid they can for regurgitation on a school exam rather than for actual learning. Pic related has good advice, but it can really be condensed into a few pages. What's always helped me the most is getting a critical edition (or equivalent) of a book and using those commentaries to study the book. I did that through my survey literature classes and by the time I got to higher level classes I had developed an eye for what to pay attention to in books.
>>
>>8006065
I've never thought about your question before, so I don't have a great answer, but I would suggest working on logic, or cryptography puzzles regularly in your spare time.

Other than that, just take time to really think about what you read. Ask yourself questions, define what you think, and then look up varied analyses of the book, and compare those perspectives to yours.

I think it will help you, if you make a habit of it.
>>
>>8006065
>specially works of fiction?
Currently halfway through pic related and so far the theory they've built has nothing to do with fiction. They have a couple of chapters on it, but the vast majority of the book is about nonfiction and I'm having a hard time imagining how they're going to integrate the fiction chapters.
>>
>>8006065
How to read a book:

>Start with the first word.
>Keep it up until the last.
>The end
>>
>>8007782
but how do I a word?
>>
>>8007763
nonchalantly
>>
File: 51-bg5k6LRL[1].jpg (37 KB, 323x500) Image search: [Google]
51-bg5k6LRL[1].jpg
37 KB, 323x500
Has anyone ever read this? Is it good?
>>
>>8007839
I can't, I don't know how to read or why. If only there were a way that I could resolve those issues.
>>
>>8007938
audible dot com
>>
>>8007938
Read the Bible.
>>
You should read managas
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.