[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
*tips fedora*
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9
File: download (5).jpg (6 KB, 156x239) Image search: [Google]
download (5).jpg
6 KB, 156x239
*tips fedora*
>>
>>8003788
i remember deciphering the stupid code that ran across the bottom of the book. it was just an ad for the second book. Now I know how Ralphie felt when he got the secret decoder ring in A Christmas Story.
>>
Artemis Fowl is good for what it is (i.e. a YA novel)
>>
>>8003811
"YA"?
Yingling Adonnous?
>>
>>8003788
Fuck the last book made me cry
>>
>>8003811
>YA novel
>good in any context

'No'
>>
my mom gave me 20 dollars for pizza and I went out and bought this book and some island one. and when she got home and found out I didn't buy pizza she beat me with a wooden spoon. I'll never understand that cunt
>>
>>8003915
Maybe you should go to that one thread where people call all authors ever shitty hacks because deep down in your deluded heads you think YOU are the greatest of all time, you are just waiting for Mom to stop asking you to get a job, so that you can finally focus on your novel about a young man who is trying to save the world from degeneracy or a young man who is too great but is struggling with girls due to his own brilliance. In any case fuck off.
>>
>>8003924
This made me laugh.

You'll never understand her?

You stole her money basically.
>>
>>8003945
How? she gave me money for pizza. I chose to make a short term sacrifice by not eating that night for a long term gain by buying a couple books.
>>
>>8003788
Yo I remember get the second book in this series at a book fair and being so upset that I had finished it before I realized that it was not the first in the series.
I picked it up in a used book store, I wonder if I still have it
>>
>>8003951

Are you telling me the whole fucking pizza was only for you?

And even if it was, it would be like if you donated money to a local business and they bought a fucking popcorn machine instead of the printers they needed
>>
File: ricky.gif (227 KB, 250x166) Image search: [Google]
ricky.gif
227 KB, 250x166
>>8003939
>he likes YA
>he gets mad when people criticize YA

The state of this anon
>>
>>8003967
I'm not even into ya anymore, I read some of fowl when I was a kid. I just wonder why faggots have to come in a bitch about something he doesn't even have a taste for when he could be reading amazing things like the superior intellect he thinks he is.
>>
File: cruise laugh.gif (2 MB, 287x240) Image search: [Google]
cruise laugh.gif
2 MB, 287x240
>>8003976
>I'm not even into ya anymore

So you're just mad for no reason then?
>>
>>8003939
>argues against criticism of poor works
>on a literature board
I don't know if I would categorize what you're doing as projection, but attempting to refute people's criticism on the basis of an attack on your theoretical construct of what or who they represent, or even somehow attempting to discredit criticism as a whole on the basis of the people who do it being inferior due to their tendency to criticize only to attempt to construct their own superiority, is an empty and worthless strategy. Wouldn't it be better, even though it may be difficult in the context of certain simple attacks, to attempt to discuss the merits and criticisms of YA fiction? It would certainly be a lot more interesting for the rest of us, rather than reading people's petty attempts at being original in their insults.
>>
>>8003924
id beat my son too if i walked in on him reading this trash
>>
File: download (6).jpg (14 KB, 178x283) Image search: [Google]
download (6).jpg
14 KB, 178x283
>>8003996
>walk in on 13 year old son reading this
what do
>>
>>8003995
>implying Artemis Fowl is a "poor work" without considering its target audience

You're probably one of those dipshits who goes around crying about how Harry Potter doesn't have literary merit.
>>
>>8004015
it's shit even for YA. Give this to your kid if you want him to grow up into a disgusting redditor/fedora tipper
>>
>>8003951
>>8003924
She, very clearly, wanted some of that pizza. She probably gave you the money to buy the pizza so you felt some freedom but then it blew up in her face when your autistic self bought books with her money instead of the pizza she probably thought about on her way home.
>>
>>8004015
I would suggest you misread my post if you believed that to be the point of it. I didn't even express an opinion on it, I was merely attempting to summarize the points of view of both you and the person you responded to.
>>
>>8003966
>>8003945

is /lit/ seriously trying to evaluate and redefine the 20+ year old memory of this poor pizza-less lad
>>
>>8003811
If a young adult is 11-12, i.e. when I read it, I guess
>>
>>8004016
>remember everyone! If you read a book, that book will alter who you are and your perceptions and tastes so drastically that every time you read a new book you become a different person! Be careful kids, if you read a book about a girl solving mysteries or a talking lion that lives in some wardrobe world, it might change you forever!

Fucking idiot.
>>
>>8004065
this is actually true. everything you read permanently alters your very being, even if it's just a little. Reading tens of thousands of pages worth of 4chan shitposts is going to fuck with your thought process in ways you can't begin to imagine.
>>
>>8004081
That doesnt mean that Artemis fowl is going to make you a fucking fedora
>>
>>8004081
the only way 4chan has changed me is i accidentally called my girlfriend an autistic nigger when she burnt soup onto the bottom of a pot and then she broke up with me.
>>
>>8004092
it can set an impressionable young man in the path to fedorahood, much like harry potter can and will make you into a degenerate SJW
>>
>>8004095

I hope you are the guy who bought the books with your mom's pizza money because your life sounds like something a fucked up George Castanza would life if true
>>
>>8004099

Have you ever read Harry Potter?
>>
>>8004113
the only book related thing that happened with my mom is she bought me a fantasy book at random when i was 10 and it turned out to be an erotic fiction about werewolves it gave me a weird fetish and i almost turned into a furry but instead i just rubbed my dick on the fur hood liner of my winter jacket and thats how i had my first orgasm, and many orgasms thereafter. i burned that part of the jacket later to cover my tracks but it was fake fur and melted and i just told my parents i accidentally left it over the vent. i think they suspected me.
>>
File: 1462318087685.png (616 KB, 1192x953) Image search: [Google]
1462318087685.png
616 KB, 1192x953
>>8004136
>Almost turned into a furry
>Fucked a jacket
WEW
>>
i used to masturbate to holly short.
>>
>>8004099
I don't get what was fedora about it?
If anything it made me want to be a secret agent even more.

That was a big thing for me in sixth grade
>>
>>8003967
Honestly what else are you gonna read in the third grade like shit, everyone knows YA novels aren't for YA and are for elementary schoolers and middle schoolers.
>>
File: ghj.jpg (27 KB, 590x394) Image search: [Google]
ghj.jpg
27 KB, 590x394
>>8004002
I'd throw him on the streets and let him see how objectivism treats him.
>mfw he becomes a wallstreet tycoon
>>
>>8004099
>degenerate
Wrong board buddy
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 274x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 274x400
Arty Fowl is for losers.
>>
>>8004441
pretty sure thats exactly what happened to gale wynand or whatever his name was in the fountainhead, but instead he became a newspaper tycoon.

he almost lives up to rands ideal, but falls short, cause hes not howard roark.

i wrote a college admission essay about the fountainhead many years ago. got rejected
>>
>>8004837
Someone get Stirner over here, stat!
>>
>>8003811
>Young adult
This is a children's book. 9-12 or so.
>>
>>8003811
I read up to Infinite Code. That was the best one, I think.
>>
>>8005002
>>8004056

I read it when I was twelve, and found it enjoyable but embarrassing and clearly something silly that should be grown out of. Why people call children's novel's YA now I have no idea.
>>
>>8004117
Harry Potter is redpilled as fuck.
>>
File: 4dc.jpg (46 KB, 600x706) Image search: [Google]
4dc.jpg
46 KB, 600x706
>>8004954
Somebody called the spook buster?
>>
>>8003939
YA is shit for people with low reading comprehension.

t. A guy whose first novel was The Hobbit, when I was 8 years old in the 3rd grade
>>
>>8003811
I don't think so. It's slightly worse than your average YA, but notable for being written before the post-Harry Potter YA flood which began around 2006
>>
>>8005895
Holy shit, you were a child and read a children's book! Impressive as fuck, mate.
>>
>>8005916
>Tolkien
>childish

>fantasy
>arguably childish

>Tolkien
>anywhere near as childish as Colier

Yeah sure man, everybody has their favorite childhood books. Some people liked rich, far away world's and characters like Tolkien can craft, and othershe read books along the lines of the magic tree house and captain underpants at that age.

I would guess you fit into the latter category.
>>
>>8005954
>Tolkien
>childish
All his finished works were childish, The Hobbit was fucking AIMED at children when he wrote it.

>Tolkien
>anywhere near as childish as Colier
Depends, they had some different themes, some similar ones. Tolkien definitely did a better job at world building but his characters are hardly better. (again we talk about the Hobbit or even LOTR, not The Silmarillion which was on another level)

>I would guess you fit into the latter category.
Not really, I liked The Hobbit a lot more than Artemis Fowl stuff. and I'd say it was overall better than LOTR too, but let's not pretend that all 3 aren't books for children.
>>
File: Based_Carmack.jpg (187 KB, 530x424) Image search: [Google]
Based_Carmack.jpg
187 KB, 530x424
>>8004136
Holy Shit.
>>
>>8004095
lmfao
>>
>>8004136
>he says he left his jacked over a vent, but I think he secretly rubbed his cock against it, came all over it, and then attempted to burn it to hide the evidence

I think 4chan has affected your brain in more than one way, friend.
>>
>>8004095
This should be a banner
>>
>>8003811
See, the the thing is a lot of YA these days pretends to be more than what it is. You'll get these dumb as fuck authors published down as YA who still think they're all that and what they're writing about it so complex and mature.

Artemis Fowl didn't really pretend to be more than it was. I came back to it to read the last few and I can see in many ways the ways in which it was flawed. But then all the ways in which I still really enjoyed reading the series.
>>
>>8004434
this
>>
I didn't even read YA shit as a young adult. How are all of you such easily amused plebs?
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.