[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Favorite DFW novel?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (194 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
194 KB, 620x387
Mine is Infinite Jest
>>
Broom of The System is better

arguably more pretentious, but less didactic, and interested in entertaining the reader instead of literally boring them on purpose to communicate a preachy moral
>>
the cat in the hat
>>
>>8003101
Fair view, I don't see didacticism as necessarily bad.
>>
>>8003101
The Pale King > Infinite Jest >>> Broom of the System
>>
>>8003090
Although Of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself
>>
My favorite David Foster Wallace novel is The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.
>>
File: IMG_8376.jpg (2 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8376.jpg
2 MB, 4000x3000
>>8003592
Not exactly a novel by DFW, though.

((hypothetical finished The Pale King >>>)) Infinite Jest > The Pale King > The Broom of the System. I chucked the latter into the bin, about 50 pages in.
>>
>>8003604
Would a finished pale king really be that good? How much more was left compared to what was published?
>>
>>8003793

I didn't care for The Pale King, it just kept me hanging.
>>
>>8003090
The Broom in the System is underrated but still not close to his later level. And well IJ is his only other finished novel. So... Infinite jest...
>>
File: MAC.jpg (361 KB, 2500x2500) Image search: [Google]
MAC.jpg
361 KB, 2500x2500
>>8003793
He was about a third finished TPK. Honestly, for what we got, it was pretty amazing work, desu. I feel like IJ could easily lose 300 pages, whilst Pale King actually held the potential to be 1000+ pages.
>>
>>8003805
Not bad
>>
>>8003805
He said that it was all about storylines that would never payoff, but being enticed with the fragments and having no idea where they were going would keep you going.
>>
The Pale King>IJ>TBotS

If The Pale King was finished it would be a masterpiece, it deserved the 2k-3k pages it was supposed to be. Fuck DFW to leave us hanging.
>>
>>8004540
Thats...thats...just l-l-like life?
>>
>Fuck DFW to leave us hanging.
underrated phrasing
>>
>>8003113
I do.
>>
His life.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.