[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was this guy's ducking problem?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: holden.jpg (246 KB, 434x348) Image search: [Google]
holden.jpg
246 KB, 434x348
What was this guy's ducking problem?
>>
guilt from getting sexy with his kid sister little phoebe when he wanted the teacher's d
>>
>>8002273
the ducking problem was that he was really wanting to know where HE will go after the lake freezes over.
>>
>>8002273
>>8002308
theres a fucking duck in the picture too wow now THAT makes you think
>>
>>8002278
Proof that this is true-

THE GREAT GATSBY REFERENCE
"I was crazy about The Great Gatsby. Old Gatsby. Old sport. That killed me."

Who else does Holden call in this manner? Old Phoebe. Any of you guys remember that scene where Nick and Gatsby both wake up in their underwear?

FREUDIAN SLIPS

"I couldn't wait to get to the park to see if old Phoebe was around so that I could give it to her."

In the middle of a scene otherwise completely unrelated to Phoebe "I started thinking how old Phoebe would feel if I got pneumonia and died. It was a childish way to think, but I couldn't stop myself. She'd feel pretty bad if something like that happened. SHE LIKES ME A LOT. I MEAN SHE'S QUITE FOND OF ME. SHE REALLY IS Anyway, I couldn't get that off my mind, so finally what I figured I'd do, I figured I'd better sneak home and see her, in case I died and all." By this time, Holden asserts he isn't even drunk or tired before, but this is some frighteningly drunken/tired logic he's displaying, unless, of course, he had other reasons for going to see Phoebe. (emphasis mine)

"...I figured that if I didn't bump smack into my parents and all I'd be able to SAY HELLO TO OLD PHOEBE AND THEN BEAT IT and nobody'd even know I'd been around."

"She says she likes to spread out. That kills me. What'd old Phoebe got to spread out? Nothing." You should all know, being literate, that "nothing" is Shakespearean slang for vagina. This would be a stretch unless there was a previous Shakespeare reference in the book... remember the nuns? Even if you don't want to accept that, these sentences still have some blatantly suggestive overtones.

"I mean Phoebe always has some dress on that can kill you."

"She's very affectionate. I mean she's quite affectionate, for a child. Sometimes she's even -too- affectionate."

"I noticed she had this big hunk of adhesive tape on her elbow. The reason I noticed it, her pajamas didn't have any sleeves." Seems like some unnecessary detail.

"Then, just for the hell of it, I gave her a pinch on the behind. It was sticking way out in the breeze, the way she was laying on her side. She has hardly any behind. I didn't do it hard, but she tried to hit my hand anyway. She missed. Then all of a sudden, she said, 'Oh, why did you -do- it?' She meant why did I get the ax again. It made me sort of sad, the way she said it."

There's more, of course, but this seems enough.

FREUDIAN SLIPS THAT SHOW EVIDENCE OF HOLDEN PREVIOUSLY BEING MOLESTED

"...my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them. They're quite touchy about anything like that, especially my father. They're -nice- and all -- I'm not saying that -- but they're also touchy as hell."

"Now he's out in Hollywood, D.B., being a prostitute."

"When something perverty like that happens, I start sweating like a bastard. That kind of stuff's happened to me about twenty times since I was a kid. I can't stand it.”
>>
Just read this for the first time a few months ago. Everyone always made Holden out to be an edgy weirdo but I thought he was really charming. Also I read the entire book in the voice of Marty McFly.
>>
>>8002388
Someone pls say it ain't so

:^(
>>
>>8002388
That prostitute thing was about him "selling " himself, abandoning his higher regarded (by holden) stories for a more blatant form of entertainment; movies for Hollywood, right?
>>
His problem is that his brother died and he didn't really move on like everyone else did. He notices changes in people and it scares him, because he doesn't want to change and lose himself.
When his brother died he wanted him back, wanted things to stay the way they were. That's why he likes the history museum, why he worries about the ducks with the changing seasons, why he doesn't go to see Jane even though he clearly is very attached to her, and also why he wants to catch the kids before they go over the cliff. Also he may have been abused as a child, adding to his need to protect the innocence of children.
>>8002715
It ain't so.
That's either a memer, or the one guy who believes that.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.