[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which translator is best for The Metamorphoses? Also, I know
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: metamorphoses.jpg (42 KB, 172x279) Image search: [Google]
metamorphoses.jpg
42 KB, 172x279
Which translator is best for The Metamorphoses? Also, I know this is a meme, but should I necessarily read anything from the classical era before I read it? I've only read The Iliad and The Odyssey.
>>
I'm actually interested in this as well (Not OP)
>>
The advice I got from a friend who is in the Classics department at my school was Mandelbaum
>>
>>8001839
You should also read the Aeneid.
>>
>>8002260
Thanks
>>8002312
I thought this as well, but Ovid and Virgil almost contemporaries so I figured there's not much need to read one to understand the other.
>>
I thought this sort of kind of was for Kafka's The Metamorphosis. S-sorry.
>>8002248
>>
>>8002341
doesn't really matter which translation you choose, it's incredibly short and the prose is pretty dry (and prose in germanic languages generally translates pretty well into english anyway)
>>
>>8002406
Thank you. I'll just look for a nice and clean cover then!
>>
Fagles is pretty good, usually between him and Fitzergald is the argument, Chapman and Lattimore, and Poe, but they say Poe is his own, but I would go with Fitzergald though I haven't read him yet
>>
It's Mandelbaum
>>
>>8002590
lol
>>
>>8001839
I read Rolfe Humphries' translation and it was rather dry. I didn't enjoy it at all.

>>8002339
If you want to read Metamorphoses first, then do that. There are a few nice vignettes where Ovid is clearly riffing off the Aeneid, but it's not really that important at all.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.