[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aside from the Quran, what other works of Arabic literature are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Quran_54a8eb8cd709b.jpg (354 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
Quran_54a8eb8cd709b.jpg
354 KB, 1440x900
Aside from the Quran, what other works of Arabic literature are worth reading?
>>
File: rumi1.jpg (92 KB, 287x268) Image search: [Google]
rumi1.jpg
92 KB, 287x268
>>8001653
Rumi, comes to mind.

Maybe Kahlil Gibran?
>>
>>8001653

So it's not Arabic, it's Persian, but the entire field of Rubaiyyatic studies is fantastic. (That is, the study of Omar Khayyam's Ruabaiyyat, which means 'quatrains' or 'verses'). Old Omar was a poet in like 12th century (Islamic) Persia.

Really you can't go wrong with Fitzgerald's translation at least for an aesthetic experience even if it's not a literal interpretation
>>
>>8001653
ibn arabi
>>
>>8001653
>Najib Mahfouz
>Al-Mutanabbi
>Badr Shakir al-Sayyab
>Salman Rushdie
>Nizar Qabbani
>>
Farid Ud-Din Attar - The Conference of Birds
>>
There's one I can't remember the name of. It's the one where the Muslim guy murders a bunch of westerners, shits on free speech and individual liberties, circumcises a little girl, and rapes a woman for exposing her elbow in public, all the while the left in America praise them for being themselves.

What was the name of that book... damn, I can't remember.
>>
>>8001653
1001 arabian nights
>>
>>8001653

An Anthology of British Literature
>>
>>8002511
back to your containment board >>>/pol/
>>
>>8001653
Season of Migration to the North - Tayeb Salih.
>>
>>8001653
The Cairo Trilogy by Naguib Mahfouz
and if Persian counts - The Blind Owl by Sadegh Hadeyat

It's a desolate region regarding literature, no matter how apologetic you try to be.
>>
>>8001662
>Rumi
mostly wrote in Persian
>>
ITT: Persian literature because Arabs are completely worthless
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.