[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How important is dialogue vs. description for you? I tend to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: LADogTypewriter1.jpg~original.jpg (239 KB, 644x770) Image search: [Google]
LADogTypewriter1.jpg~original.jpg
239 KB, 644x770
How important is dialogue vs. description for you? I tend to write a lot of dialogue and very little description in my stories. I keep the description bare minimum. Such as "James and Mike sat in a booth inside the Blue Marlin restaurant. It was packed with patrons. Luckily they were seated by a window with a solid view of the street."

Followed by two thousand words of dialogue with little action or description breaking it up.
>>
>>7998903
Depends on the scene brah.

Actions speak more than words in some cases but dialogue is the world's insight into a character
>>
>>7998903
I like the idea, a movie-like device it seems. But you'll need to work more on writing descriptions, this example isn't very good.
>>
If you're doing that you might as well write a screenplay
>>
>>7998903

you ought to use really nice descriptions at least sometimes, it's good to have balance, but yeah minimalism works fine because people generally ignore descriptions and imagine the restaurant near their home rather than the one a writer describes anyway.

i guess it just depends on your strengths. Melville was an terribly hit-or-miss dialogue writer (reading Typee atm the dialogue with Toby is trash, so was it in Pierre) so he didn't do extraordinarily much of it
>>
>>7998932
holy shit if you're going to puke out cliches at least try to puke out cliches that fit
>>
>>7999000
dub trips confirm
>>
>>7998938
I changed it around a little to make it more general in tone. The previous chapter ends with the duo complaining about being sent to a restaurant as well. I'll keep working on descriptions too.

>>7998944
I probably will adapt it to a screenplay.
>>7998986
>people generally ignore descriptions and imagine the restaurant near their home rather than the one a writer describes anyway.

I tend to do exactly that when reading. Good advice, thank you.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.