[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you deal with amount of violence and horrible things God
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8
File: the-holy-bible.jpg (46 KB, 567x567) Image search: [Google]
the-holy-bible.jpg
46 KB, 567x567
How do you deal with amount of violence and horrible things God did to non-believers?
>>
would you rather God destroyed us all after we fucked up?
yes
>>
Starts with Teleological and ends with Ethical.
>>
I select what is convenient for me.
>>
God's will is moral, eo ipso
>>
Everything happens for a reason.
>>
He's God, right? So he gets to do those kinds of things. Plus, they were non-believers.
>>
>>7997803
I respond to troll threads until the feeling goes away.
>>
>>7997803
They were doing worse things simple as that.
>>
i wish i was god
>>
>>7997803
Simply place it in historical context. Read the Bible as the Mythological Literature that it is. The culture isn't going to admit to genicide, they therefore ascribe it to Divine Instruction. God said kill the little boys and take the virgins for yourselves as war booty (Numbers 31). This is no different from what ISIS does today, but Christianity and Judaism accept the story as okay because it was Their People using YHWH as an excuse long ago as opposed to ISIS using Allah now.
- Joshua and the Hebrews commited genocide to get the land in the same way the U.S. killed the Native Americans. Humans have been killing for a long time and have gotten very good at justifying it using our Deities.

Place it in context. We (humans) kill. The Bible (as literature) is simply filled with those stories from the point of view of one specific culture.
>>
>non-believers

funny way of saying 'sinners'
>>
very carefully
>>
>>7997803
i just pick and choose the bits i like
>>
>>7997803
Genesis Chapter 6

When villages and towns were ordered to be massacred, there was genetic corruption at issue, not a disagreement of faith.
>>
>>7997837
/thread
>>
>>7997803
I don't understand what you mean by
>deal with
since it's not my place to judge or evaluate the actions of God
>>
Fuck god 8)
>>
>>7997803
It's all made up, that's how. It doesn't matter whats written in there. Obviously the majority just ignore these parts.
>>
>>7997803
>Here's an excerpt from the book of Romans chapter 9, starting at verse 15 and going through 23:

For He says to Moses,

“I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”

So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy. For the Scripture says to Pharaoh,

“For this very purpose I raised you up, to demonstrate My power in you, and that My name might be proclaimed throughout the whole earth.”

So then He has mercy on whom He desires, and He hardens whom He desires.

You will say to me then, “Why does He still find fault? For who resists His will?” On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God? The thing molded will not say to the molder, “Why did you make me like this,” will it? Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for common use?

What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction? And He did so to make known the riches of His glory upon vessels of mercy, which He prepared beforehand for glory...

>In other words, He is God, He has purposes which extend beyond an unknown and large number of human bodily lifespans, and will accomplish those foremost.
>Man either becomes the "vessel for honorable use," or doesn't, and in either case, God's plans go unchanged and undisturbed because it is all accounted for.

There is a lot more to this, though. The Bible is a large work, and looking at it comprehensively to get a picture of the character of God in it takes a lot of reading and reflection.
>>
File: CantEvenPepe2.jpg (37 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
CantEvenPepe2.jpg
37 KB, 400x386
Was on amazon looking at buying a KJV bible and I saw all these reviews from yesterday and today saying all this bullshit. Saying it promotes slavery and homophobia and to watch out for trigger warnings. I assume some SJWs organized it.
>>
>>8004616
Sneaky Jew Weasels?
>>
>>8004627
http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Bible-King-James-Version/product-reviews/0310941784/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=recent
>>
>>7997803
I've come to realize that the God of the Old Testament is not actually God but a malevolent spirit known as the Demiurge.
>>
>>8004616
Why were you looking into the KJV? It is a Protestant bible, which makes it heterodox.
>>
>>8004616
there are churches that will send KJV to your door for free
>>
>>8004664
Its the most recommended one on this board

>>8004665
good to know
>>
File: saintaugustine.jpg (1 MB, 1716x2341) Image search: [Google]
saintaugustine.jpg
1 MB, 1716x2341
>>8004658
Gnosticism got btfo over 1500 years ago, stop that dumb shit and come back to the One, True, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church established by Christ
>>
>>8004687
Personally, I prefer NASB or ESV. I think you can download KJV from Gutenberg.org for free. Or just use Biblegateway.com and you can read basically any translation free.
>>
>>8004687
The Catholic Church put the Bible together. It makes sense to read one of the versions approved by the Church.
>>
File: 1441676733018-0.jpg (3 MB, 3200x2192) Image search: [Google]
1441676733018-0.jpg
3 MB, 3200x2192
>>8004687
How much Theology/Church teaching do you know? Jumping straight into Holy Scripture might not bring you much enlightenment. Also get Douai-Rheims or NAB instead of KJV.
>>
>>8004701
>he isn't Orthodox
>>
File: 1448766379257-1.jpg (127 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
1448766379257-1.jpg
127 KB, 1440x1080
>>8004709
>>
They received warning, like when Israel called Palestine homes before they bombed them.
>>
I can't deal with it.
It just doesn't make sense how god can judge people while they are still living.
Who is he to say that those he killed for his definition of blasphemy wouldn't convert to christianity if he had just introduced it peacefully? Instead their damnation is pretty much guaranteed. The whole issue of Sodom and Gomorrah could have been avoided if he just sent a prophet who didn't discriminate on gentiles.
>>
>>7998254
Brian Davis argues that God cannot be thought of as a moral being, so to accuse God of acting immorally makes no sense. God is what defines morality, and so cannot be subject to it.
>>
Ha ha, you realize that it's just a book, right? I mean, come on.
>>
>>8004750
>Who is he to say that those he killed for his definition of blasphemy wouldn't convert to christianity if he had just introduced it peacefully?

Um, literally God.
>>
>>8004771
epic meme, my friend!
>>
>>8004723

At first, I read this caption and was about to dismiss it because it was written very badly.

Then, I re-read the caption and understood the substance of its argument, regardless of whether it correctly cites its source. Having understood the caption's argument itself, I realized that it was very stupid, since the very simple answer to the very stupid rhetorical question is that the point of severance from historical falsity is to re-establish truth on hopefully fresh ground.

Third, I remembered that the cultural context of the image and its caption are Christianity in general, which pretends falsely towards truth. Then I felt very happy, because I am much smarter than the apologetics, whose arguments are neither subtle, nor good, nor true. Reality precludes their truth.
>>
>>7997803
They deserved it.
>>
File: clement-1.jpg (120 KB, 400x500) Image search: [Google]
clement-1.jpg
120 KB, 400x500
>>8004793
>the point of severance from historical falsity is to re-establish truth on hopefully fresh ground.

That's not how the Apostolic Churches work, anon. The Gates of Hell shall not prevail against the Church of Christ. The Church is the Sacred Tradition, Scripture, and living Authority passed down from the Apostles. Orthodox don't argue that they split from the Apostolic Church to "re-establish truth", they claim that they are the True Church and that the Roman Church are in Schism. The quote is just smug Gregory XVI being smug.
>>
>>7997803
>>7997803
Who are you to check his hand and question what he does? He created everything and he owns everything. That even includes all humanity on earth and they life you call "my life" right now as we speak. Who are you to question what a person does with their property?

Everyone he killed in the OT and everyone he is about to kill in Armageddon very shortly deserved to die and will deserve to die. The universe is just a pitri dish.
>>
I read it as mythology, because that's what it is.
>>
>>8004750
>>8004750
>It just doesn't make sense how god can judge people while they are still living.

He's God, he can read the mind and heart. It doesn't help that he sees and has see EVERYTHING you have ever done in secret.

>>8004750
>Who is he to say that those he killed for his definition of blasphemy wouldn't convert to christianity if he had just introduced

The same God who can read your mind and heart, see your entire life, and even see your future.

>>The whole issue of Sodom and Gomorrah could have been avoided if he just sent a prophet who didn't discriminate on gentiles.

Sodom and Gomorrah are easy to answer. God judged them on three things that weighed against them: Their consciousness, their bodies, and nature. Nature condemned them for obvious reasons. The human body condemned them for obvious reason. And their consciousness condemned them because the first case of wide-spread homosexuality originated here. Their was no such thing as Cultural Marxism, Liberal fags, and pro-gay rights to poison their minds. It was a complete choice on their parts.

So God was fully justified in annihilating them.

It seems your problem is that you know that believing in the Bible in its pure entirety makes it uncomfortable to you because the the Current Year tells you would be narrow minded to accept that and that you are uneducated and intolerant. It would also isolate you from all the intellectuals of the world.

Yeah, that's the point. You are supposed to be intolerant and hated by the world just as Jesus was. Jesus was intolerant of the ancient Jews and their "education." He was intolerant towards their traditions. Jesus was no part of the world.
>>
>>8004821

And that is exactly why they are wrong. Because they make the compound error of the falsity of Christ, and of the appeal ot history. It is an execrable sentimentality, all the way round.
>>
>>8004706
Not that anon but I'm actually looking for a bible and after seeing KJV always recommended on here I just assumed it was the go to version.

I also have no church/theology teachings. I was looking for a bible to read for the literally references it has throughout literature but to also gain a good amount of knowledge of the overall bible. What would you recommend?
>>
>>8004896
Literary* references
>>
>>8004896
New American Bible is a fine English translation.
>>
>>7997803
I just remind myself that it is all made up.
>>
>>7997803
well its mostly fiction so thats like asking how i deal with chuckie killing all those people.
>>
>>7997803

>God doing horrible things

Because this was the Old Covenant with the Jews. They lived by the law until Jesus came. The New Covenant, Christ fulfilling the law, eased up on Jews and Gentiles. The NT is a much more pleasant read than the OT.
>>
>>8004973
As if that makes any sense.
>>
>>8001556
>The Bible (as literature) is simply filled with those stories from the point of view of one specific culture.
>The Bible (as literature) is simply filled with those stories from the point of view of one specific culture.
i wonder why this got no replies
>>
>>8005172
Because Hindus, Buddhists, and every other religion besides Islam and Judaism may as well not exist to Christians.
>>
Well, desu he did it not only to non-believers, do you remember the story of Job? In the end faith doesn't even matter here because it surely can't stop the powerful will of Mid-Eastern asiatic despot.
>>
replace "god" with "gnon" and you have your answer

people create mythic rationalizations for the various things they do because this is what is determined by the ape brain + politics. which results in subjectively putting a mask on nature. the jewish god yahweh is no exception

nor is it a mystery why broken people on the literature board of 4chan unironically adopt an originally occulted jewish god as their newest fashion statement. thus you have the resurgence of taking kierkegaard, augustine, calvin, and tertullian seriously here

unironic modern christians will call this "fedora" but there's a difference between being a euphoric dorito woodchipper and understanding that whites should have never adopted a diluted progressive judaistic ideology in the first place

the modern west failed to learn from the mistakes of rome
>>
>>7997803

It doesn't really matter because it's not real.
>>
>>8005414
*tips fedora*
>>
File: photo[1].jpg (25 KB, 437x437) Image search: [Google]
photo[1].jpg
25 KB, 437x437
>>8005351
>"Yahweh"
>>
>>8004750
>...wouldn't convert to christianity if he had just introduced it peacefully?

I don't think you understand how Omniscience works.
>>
>>7997803
With historical/deuteronomic revisionism
>>
>>8005414
this desu
>>
File: 1445970579202.png (900 KB, 690x968) Image search: [Google]
1445970579202.png
900 KB, 690x968
>>7997803
We deserve it.
>>
>>7997803
If I was a christian id say god invented nature and it took its course you CUNT.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.