[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pls be rational
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
I'm afraid to ask here because this is the most religious board I've seen, but I would like to discuss Darwin.

I'm looking for an up-to-date version of The Origin of Species, keeping focus on nature and its workings rather than science. I am an atheist but I don't care about the whole evolution bit, I just want a good naturally descriptive book. Sort of like a field guide
>>
>>7996860
>rational
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>7996869
Just speaking from experience (I live in the American South), whenever I talk about a subject that ever so slightly questions the almighty I get a shitstorm.

So it's just to be safe
>>
>>7996860
One tip for you. Don't talk religious shit to religious people or atheist people. Neither knows their shit. All they know is screaming profanity at each other and at each other's "god". Also they have no idea what actually a "Gee Oh Dee" is.
>>
All of 4chin is pretty much Roman Catholic-biased. Pretty much.
>>
>>7996860
>rational
nice spook
>>
>>7996860
>a field guide
You already know what you want.
>>
you're a retard lol

b2reddit
>>
>>7996860
ignore these other fuckwitted pseuds

the book you want is probably Almost Like a Whale by Steve Jones
or possibly The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins, although mere mention of his name is bound to cause a shrieking fit amongst the narcissistic fucked-up little turds that inhabit this board
>>
>>7996860
Why waste your time on something that is wrong?
>>
>>7997642
fuckwitted pseud detected
>>
>>7997653
>my great grandpa is a rock
>>
>>7996874
I live in south america and evolution has never been that much of a taboo.

Perhaps you're just a complete neo-atheist fedora lord or you just want to feel outraged at evangelics or some shit. Just let people belive whatever they want and stop being such an asshole, our culture is catholic and catholicism has absolutely no qualms with evolution or the Big Bang
>>
>>7997655
>i have no concept of what evolution actually is
>>
>>7997658
>the progress of life forms from simple to complex

>even though things progress from order to chaos

>even though a single celled organism is more complicated than a space shuttle

>even though there is not a single shred of transitory fossils when it's supposed to take millions of years
>>
>>7997662
you stupid inbred little fuck. just go and kill yourself

>>the progress of life forms from simple to complex

not necessarily

>>even though things progress from order to chaos

not a meaningful statement

>>even though a single celled organism is more complicated than a space shuttle

of course it fucking isn't

>>even though there is not a single shred of transitory fossils when it's supposed to take millions of years

of course there fucking are
>>
>>7997668
Necessarily

In your opinion

It actually is

There aren't
>>
>>7997675
>There aren't

apparently on your planet people didn't evolve eyes
>>
>>7997678
Here you go, some cute quotes from your science daddies that you bend over for daily. Except this time, they aren't going to say what you like, because it is you that doesn't understand what evolution says.

https://sepetjian.wordpress.com/2011/11/10/smaller-means-more-complex-not-less/
>>
>>7997680
>first quote is from Fred Hoyle
that's Fred Hoyle who denied the big bang

>second quote is from a geologist talking about biology
rest of article safely discarded

>most recent article on site is "what jesus christ did for you"
whole site safely discarded
>>
>>7997702
That's because the big bang is wrong.

Would you expect anything different concerning it considering it was invented by a jesuit priest?

>peopke in particular fields can't be well versed in others

You are dense.
>>
>>7997702
Radman is also a biologist by the way.

Keep being dishonest though you pseud.
>>
File: 0321558235.jpg (67 KB, 539x648) Image search: [Google]
0321558235.jpg
67 KB, 539x648
>>7996860
read this
>>
>>7997709
>That's because the big bang is wrong.
>You are dense.

Epic, anon. Simply epic.
>>
>>7997736
_>no uniform distribution of matter

> planets and moons and entire galaxies spinning in the opposite direction

Breaking two scientific laws is more than enough for it to be discarded.

You can't even present a simple argument either so I'm not going to bother with you anymore. Bye pleb.
>>
>>7997752
I take it you're not actually familiar with any of the mathematics behind the big bang theory, are you?

Pleb.
>>
>>7997731
oh yeah, a fkn textbook is easy reading
>>
File: Idiot.jpg (111 KB, 707x628) Image search: [Google]
Idiot.jpg
111 KB, 707x628
>lit majors trying to discuss science

Just stick to trying to discuss philosophers you don't understand, chaps
>>
>>7997765
>non-humanities
>human

>posts anime
>>
>>7997769
>posts on 4chan
>thinks he's somehow better than anime

please, go back to trying to disprove/prove the big bang by repeatedly saying no/yes
>>
>>7997656
I said American South, and I'm just a nature guy who just so happens to be an atheist
>>
>>7997791
become a catholic anon
>>
>>7997793
Popery is never the answer.
>>
>>7996874
what wow you're dealing with some serious faggots anon
Mat 7:7 (Ask ;Seek;Knock) and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.

If you didnt get at least one of these verses referred to you then you have a shite church anon.
>>
File: 1407905657149.png (187 KB, 590x350) Image search: [Google]
1407905657149.png
187 KB, 590x350
>>7997640
Richard Dawkins is a rational guy that stands against todays newage millenial nonsense. >7/10 would hire to sit my dog
>>
>>7997793
>>7997813
Fuck all you christfags and fedoras just give me some damn recommendations. Is it too much to ask?

Thanks to:
>>7997640
>>7997731
>>
>>7996860
>I just want a good naturally descriptive book
You'd still be better off asking /sci/.

>this is the most religious board I've seen
It isn't. Slightly older userbase here, knows enough not to talk to the religious when they spagh out. All that going unchallenged makes it seem like there's a greater proportion of them than is actually the case.
>>
>>7996860
If you want an up-to-date version of The Origin of Species, you might want to go back and read what Darwin wrote originally, then find a new contemporary paper on evolutionary biology in order to see how the theory has evolved over time. I'd suggest "Genetics and the origin of species: Anintroduction" by Ayala and Fitch, then start reading through the papers/books they cite in that to get a more modern grasp on things.

Can't help you on the "focus on nature and workings rather than science" bit since, well, the nature and workings is a part of the science involved. At the same time, you have to understand the science to understand the nature and workings of Darwin's theory.
>>
>>7997764
It's actually really easy, clear, good graphics. Great book to have, i't covers all basics and some advanced stuff, from atom to ecosystems. If you really want to learn something, why not. You don't have to read the whole thing you know. If you don't want to spent the money, you can find pdf's on the interwebs.
>>
>>7996874
What kind of rationality you want senpai?
>>
>>7997662
I thinks its easy to just repeat
>I have no idea what evolution is
>>
>>7997759
If there were any mathematical proofs for the big bang it wouldn't be a theory anymore you stupid fuck
>>
>>7999289
>I have no idea what a scientific theory is
>>
>>7999363
>mumbo jumbo that isn't 100% correct but it's our best guess so therefore we should teach it to people as true even though we aren't sure yet

>not repeatable, not testable, not verifiable, not science
>>
who are the best writers christians, jews or atheists
>>
>>7999443
Christians.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.