[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can we make /lit/ great again, my fellow posters? Some suggestions:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 204x247) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8 KB, 204x247
How can we make /lit/ great again, my fellow posters? Some suggestions:

>a lenghty guide to translations, from homer to dostoevsky
>update the wiki or change the wiki
>fewer dfw, pynchon, bolaño or whatever meme author threads
>more non-anglophone literature discussion
>ban "i started this book today, what do you think of it /lit/" posters
>ban frogposters
>ban butterfly
>>
>>7996711
Goodbye, Rato
>>
I think we should start a curriculum that isn't necessarily to be followed in a fixed amount of time or fixed chronology of texts, but instead groups of texts that consist of novels, poetry, essays, theory, philosophy and nonfiction, etc... that come from all backgrounds to provide for a wider read lit. It would take a group effort to design and perfect but i'm willing to try
>>
>>7996737
and of course in turn each "group" that is created could be made into individual posts for years to come for discussion. Does this make sense?
>>
>>7996711
Am I meme now? I'm not going to drop the name just because of a few shitposters.
>>
File: 1428862092475.jpg (53 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1428862092475.jpg
53 KB, 500x375
>>7996711
>>fewer dfw, pynchon, bolaño or whatever meme author threads

Who is suppose to decide who qualifies as a meme author? I acutally really like Pynchon in a non-memeing way and ctrl f says Pynchon your's is 1 of 2 mentions of him in the catalog.

It is mostly just blatantly off topic threads and "I'm new here" threads that are killing this place.

>>ban "i started this book today, what do you think of it /lit/" posters
>>ban frogposters
>>ban butterfly

Agreed.
>>
>>7996737
>>7996744
The wiki does what you've said, but the layout, the navigation and the lack of visual content is really bad. It would be cool if some webdesigner made a totally new site with the wiki's info plus some translations guide.
>>
>>7996752
you are like a little baby
>>
File: we'll show him.png (441 KB, 812x548) Image search: [Google]
we'll show him.png
441 KB, 812x548
I don't know about discussion but I know we need 100% less John Green and "feminism starter lit" threads.
>>
we need a questionarre system to make sure you've actually read/compelted the books you are talking about

99.99% of gravity's rainbow discussion is by people with no idea what the book is
>>
>>7996765
I agree with this nigga. I love Bolaño, Pynchon, and DFW. They're legitimately good.
>>
>>7996711
it will be necessary to get the religious vote through choice of vp, along with geographic diversity (ie someone not from the northeast), along with the bookish, thinking man's bigot. Clearlly the vp choice is clear, at least from the bright light of day that is /lit/, and that choice is orson scott card
>spoiler image over there
>TRUMP CARD
>>
>>7996783
S U C C
U
C
C
>>
>>7996773
Yea I agree I'm looking for a more coherently groouped set of texts that are unified thematically in some way. For example having like hume, Rousseau, aristotle, some Dostoevsky, some mccarthy in one group made and titles by me. But another person can make another group that doesnt have to exclude the texts I picked just another theme. Like a russian lit theme with dosto, gogol, tolstoy, bely, etc... Im not sure how this can be done but im open to suggestions
>>
What a brilliant idea, /pol/.
>>
>>7996711
IF YOU BAN ONE BUTTERFLY YOU BAN US ALL!
>>
>>7996815
good
>>
>>7996752
please stop impersonating me, you small minded buffoon.
>>
>>7996752
>>7996783
>>7996797
>>7996804
>>7996815
See, folks, that's why we need the swarm banned.
>>
>>7996821
haha well meme'd old bean!
>>
This guy
>>
>>7996823
It's alright, >>7996783 was ironic (3ish), and >>7996797 was accidentally leaving it on, which I've fixed now
>>
>likes Dostoevsky
oops it appears you found yourself on the wrong site friend let me help you get to the correct one
i think it was read it? red it? le ditt? hmm...
>>
You don't need to have a conversation on the internet about your books. There are mountains of essays and criticism, book clubs even (Goodreads even?).

But we desire to pretend we are pursuing loftier goals when we are not. This board caters to this desire. It will never be good. Literature will always be over there, never quite here, talk as we might.

by saying this I'm not just self-consciously shitposting, right?
>>
>>7996882
You dropped this "« Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ »"
*hands it to you*
"There you go!"
>>
>>7996886
>implying reading essays and criticism is a conversation
a dialogue is not a conversation m8
>>
>>7996813
>implying /pol/ would ever recommend more non-anglo lit

Am I being baited?
>>
>>7996711
Less tryharding will fix it over night.
>>
>>7996882
don't you have some underage girls to be stalking, vladimir?
>>
>>7996895

wow what's it like to be retarded?
>>
>>7996888
nice digits
>>
>>7996711
I would greatly value a translation guide for beginners such as myself and the first one up, I think, should be Homer. I've spent quite a bit of time trying to decide which translation to pick for my first reading of the Iliad and, while I'm happy with my choice, I feel like I would have benefited from a more structured guide instead of scanning various threads, reviews, blog posts and wiki pages.

Then I, for one, would love to see translation guides for the Bible, Ovid, Dante (there is already a great chart, perhaps it could serve as model), Dostoyevsky/Tolstoy, Proust and Bulgakov. And that's just for starters.
>>
>>7996711
>ban "I started this book today, what do you think f it /lit/" posters

What the hell is wrong with those posts?
To BAN those people, who are following all guidelines of /lit/ in that they are seeking to discuss literature, is CRAZY.
Same with the whole "less meme authors" thing.
The whole point of 4chan is that it's an anonymous free place where an entire literary culture can exist and grow and morph. It will inevitably naturally continue to morph. Stop trying to implement your fascist views on the only truly free place on the internet.
>>
>>7996711
Making more detailed guides isn't going to help. We have a chart for Greek literature but still get threads asking about it daily(do I have to read it in this order? I know this translation is recommended but can I read this instead? Can I skip this book?).
The only way to get rid of them is to not reply. Same with any other kind of thread you don't like. Make good threads and post on good threads.
>>
>>7996940
Trying.
>>
>>7997372
imblingg
>>

Literally the only posts trying to discuss literature.
>>
>>7996765
I think he means less threads about pictures/ memes of these people and more threads about their work.
>>
>>7996882
Since when is Dostoyevsky Reddit? He's a good author though admittedly, not the hardest to understand.
>>
>>7996711
>>a lenghty guide to translations, from homer to dostoevsky
I would greatly appreciate this. It's one of the main questions I always ask on /lit/
>>
Ban Trump supporters.

For the record and before I am accused of feeling the Bern or voting for Hillary I would like to say that all the main candidates are absolute garbage, but Trump cultists are annoying stupid.
>>
>>7996711
Embrace William Gaddis, William Gass, and John Hawkes as the new gods, and only allow discussion explicitly related to literature.
>>
>people don't even know my tripcode

well at least that much is still sacred
>>
>reading translations
>>
We should have generals like /tv/. I know WE asready have /scifi/ or whatever the name is for SF and fantasy, but many topic are too recurrent, they would benefit from having their own generals. Plus they help contain the memes, if you too go on /tv/ you can notice there are barely any GoT meme outside /got/.
>>
Ban book haul gais/recent purchase threads
Ban omg booktubers/reddit/etc sux threads
>>
- generals
- recommendation threads, so people read outside the canon
- bookclub kind of thing for actual discussion (like the IJ read along, but standardised)
- ban all those things you said, but only ban the non-serious threads about the meme authors. Or just make a /pynchon/, /dfw/, etc so that they don't flood the board
- what are you reading? thread, so that there isn't a new thread for every person that wants to talk about the book he's reading.
>>
>>7998672
that's not the tripcode
>>
>>7996711
>a lenghty guide to translations, from homer to dostoevsky
This is a good idea. A quality translation can make the difference between hating or loving a text.

>update the wiki or change the wiki
Another good idea, but if you want the wiki updated, get working. That's kind of the whole point of wikis.

>fewer dfw, pynchon, bolaño or whatever meme author threads
Meh. Kind of stupid to prevent people from discussing literature they like on a literature discussion board. Those authors became memes for good reasons.

>more non-anglophone literature discussion
We already have plenty of this, I don't know what you're talking about.

Again, you're banning people discussing literature on a literature board. Most people aren't doing it to show off what they read, they're doing it to incite a conversation/

>ban frogposters
Yes.

>ban butterfly
Too many impersonators to do this. Plus, why ban someone just because you disagree with them? Bad idea.
>>
it's jews
>>
jews
>>
>>7996882
>Christian author
>Reddit
Lol wut?
>>
CLARIFICATION:
/lit/ shouldn't be about reading books for the sake of reading them. There should be focus on originality.
It sounds naive, but with such a large backlog just to make a dent in the humanities, we must not forget to make new conclusions through each reading. Else we're just caricatures of authors.
>>
>>7996882
wtf
>>
>>7996711
>>fewer dfw, pynchon, bolaño or whatever meme author threads
>>
>>7996765
>ban butterfly
finally someone who talks sense
>>
File: b.jpg (19 KB, 575x748) Image search: [Google]
b.jpg
19 KB, 575x748
>>7996711
>ban butterfly

she is core /lit/ culture though
>>
File: 1400019032124.jpg (36 KB, 247x247) Image search: [Google]
1400019032124.jpg
36 KB, 247x247
Goodreads integration
>>
>>7997488
Nah, let people finish books before they try to talk about them, and allow for people to form their own opinions on stuff they're reading.
>>
>>7996711
>>7996734

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP1hvVmPDWo&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>7999869
Ban butterfly orbiters and apologists, too
>>
>>7996711
increase frogposting
>>
>>7996821
poop ass tits sass try and see if you can pass gass
>>
File: 1435801864012.jpg (31 KB, 300x321) Image search: [Google]
1435801864012.jpg
31 KB, 300x321
>>7996711
Ban fucking anime threads.

What the fuck is happening here?

Why is this shit popping up all of a sudden?
>>
>>7996711
poop ass tits sass try and see if you can pass gass
>>
>>7996888
*it was a hologram*
>>
>>7996944
>>8001026
>>8001024
>>7999413
>>7998672
STOP ACTING LIKE ME, THIS ISNT FUNNY
>>
>>7997336
No discussion past "its good" or "its bad" and a bundle of shitposting can occur in these threads. The OP has probably read 20 - 35 pages and
1)cant contribute to the thread directly
And
2)is likely to have the book spoiled for him the longer he is active within the thread.
And honestly if everybody who started a book stopped to ask /lit/ what they thought, there would be no room for anything else in the catalog.
>>
spanish/portuguese speakers need to leave
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.