[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think about this book—utter shit or nah? Argue
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
File: pooplin.gif (4 MB, 584x900) Image search: [Google]
pooplin.gif
4 MB, 584x900
What do you think about this book—utter shit or nah? Argue for your point.
>>
>>7996018

I'm one of the many /lit/ users who have chosen to never read this book, so I can't help you.
>>
I found it entertaining enough not to put dow and enjoyed the modern aspects of it, maybe because its the only novel written by someone young in the 2010s.

Its a strange style he writes in where he basically just says what happens and all the description and creativity is up to you.
>>
>>7996018
Reading Richard Yeats and Shoplifting From American Apparel made me appreciate this book a lot more (though I liked it a lot the first time I read it.)
When compared to these books you can see that his prose isn't as threadbare as you initially might think, and that there is a lot of meaning and intent in the composition.

I like the book, I think it does a good job at capturing "modern malaise" without feeling inauthentic. I can understand why people wouldn't like it though.
Some of the relationship parts (like eating junk food as a "date") were 2real4me.
>>
File: catreadingTKAM.jpg (44 KB, 700x522) Image search: [Google]
catreadingTKAM.jpg
44 KB, 700x522
>>7996166
Why does everyone hate it on /lit/, though? I understand that Tao Lin does some stupid stuff, but the novel honestly is not that bad.
>>
>>7996053
same
>>
File: original.jpg (29 KB, 650x392) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
29 KB, 650x392
Im too lazy to argue why I think it's good so I'll post this interview with tao lin and michael silverblatt, who if you don't know is probably one the most prolific readers to ever grace this earth. Not to sound like a douche but I don't think people here understand the craft of writing enough to appreciate Taipei, not to say that it is anything more than aesthetically pleasing, which I think it is, but I could understand why some don't.

http://www.kcrw.com/news-culture/shows/bookworm/tao-lin-taipei
>>
>I'm totally not bret easton ellis lmao
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.