[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else dislike early Yeats? yeah hes a master of form
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: fucc.jpg (8 KB, 210x299) Image search: [Google]
fucc.jpg
8 KB, 210x299
Does anyone else dislike early Yeats? yeah hes a master of form and syntax, that's undeniable, but his subject matter is horribly cliché. Dude has like six poems about waning love and autumn n shit.
>>
>>7995522
nah, to me hes the perfect bridge between traditional poetry about love/autumn/classical imagery and batshit modernist stuff
>>
Late Yeats is where its at bby
>>
>>7995522

>Dude has like six poems about waning love and autumn n shit.

I agree that early Yeats isn't as good as late Yeats, but God damn I wish this meme would die.
>>
>>7995530
You just described Mallarmé.
>>
>>7995530
well this intrigues me
rec me some yeats poems that will ease me into TS Elliot and Ezra Pound
>>
>>7995552
why is it so bad to mention?
>>
>>7995560
No need to ease, just start with the lovesong of J. Alfred prufrock
>>
>>7995564

Because a poet can choose to write about whatever inspires them. Sure, waning love and autumn n shit have been done many, many, many times before. That doesn't mean anyone, particularly someone of Yeats' stature, doesn't have anything interesting to say about it. Don't dislike it because someone told you it wasn't cool to like poems about waning love and autumn n shit anymore. Anyone who tells you that a poets' subject matter shouldn't be whatever inspires them, doesn't deserve you giving them the time of day to listen to whatever bullshit they have to say.
>>
>Hating on the GOAT
Any Yeats is good Yeats.
>>
>>7995522
I KNOW THAT I SHALL MEET MY FATE

SOMEWHERE

AMONG

THE

CLOUDS

ABOVE
>>
>>7995730
This
>>
>>7995522
What changed between early Yeats and his stuff published later? When he did change?
>>
I don't care for yeats at all but especially not the early stuff, honey.
He just taps into bland mythological nationalism and substanceless pretty imagery.
Plus he's the ultimate beta cuckold
>trying to fuck maud gonne for years
>putting her in your plays as cathleen no houlihan, beatifil symbol of the olde country
>time goes on, write about her man in political poems, a real man
>one day she bangs you and she instantly regrets it
>marry her daughter.

I know 4chan creeps think that's even better but. No.
>>
>>7995918
Probably when Pound became his secretary
>>
>>7996117
what does that have to do with his poetry? You're the cuck for letting an artist get in the way of your enjoyment of their art.
>>
>>7996229
I said why he didn't like the poetry first. The ad hominem stuff goes without saying on 4chan.
>>
>>7995560
>. Dude has like six poems about waning love and autumn n shit

And what part of your life has been more interesting or more sublime than romantic love or the changing seasons?
>>
>>7997167
oops, meant to quote >>7995522
>>
>>7996218
>you will never eat roast peacock with Ez and W.B.
>>
I always imagined Robert Plant singing "The Song of Wandering Aengus." early Yeats was basically Led Zeppelin before Led Zeppelin.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.