[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/. How do you pick what book you'll read next? Out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: library-09.jpg (571 KB, 1400x800) Image search: [Google]
library-09.jpg
571 KB, 1400x800
Hey /lit/.
How do you pick what book you'll read next? Out of all the possible books at your immediate or not so immediate disposal?

What does your process of researching a book before deciding to commit to it consist of?
>>
>>7995260
complete random selection via random number generator
>>
hey that's my library

and I mostly just pick the book that comes to mind from what I heard on /lit/
>>
>>7995260
I stare at my unread books every morning while eating breakfast. By the time I need a new book one has usually stuck out for some reason.
>>
>>7995267
random number generators only produce pseudo-random numbers, though, so it's not completely random
>>
>>7995289
Yes, but in the sense of practicality, it is probably the best way to "randomly" select something.
>>
i just read what i feel like reading
weird, isn't it?
>>
>>7995289
Is anything truly random?
>>
I have three different piles, for the three different languages I read in. I read a book from whichever pile is the highest. Have I finished all three piles? Buy some books, and start the process all over again.
>>
>>7995284
>>7995340
Yeah, but how do you pick what particular book to read first out of all of your unread books? Regardless of what pile it's from.

Having not read any book independently of my school curriculum before, I have a big problem with sticking to any particular book and reading it in its entirety. I'm assuming that lengthier research would help me be more confident in my choice, but I just don't know what should I look for in a book's Wikipedia page or what have you.
>>
>>7995260
If it's on my shelf, has good reviews and suits my craving, it's in.
>>
>>7995377
>how do you pick what particular book to read first out of all of your unread books?
Usually the one on top. If not, one that strikes my fancy.

You have concentration problems, whether you do more or less research is irrelevant. Try spending less time on the internet and more time in your garden/local park. Summer is coming up in the civilized part of this our planet Earth.
>>
>>7995306
quantum states when 'observed' are truly random .
>>
>>7995377
sounds like you don't like to read
>>
>>7995260

Topics and themes i'm currently interested.
>>
>>7995389
So we currently think.
>>
>>7995377
Isn't there one book you have been thinking about that seems more interesting than any other? Maybe one you've seen mentioned here or heard someone praise irl.
>>
>>7995400
Well, I don't actively dislike it, and from my experience in listening to serious music, it only gets more enjoyable the more you develop your listening skills.

>>7995385
>You have concentration problems, whether you do more or less research is irrelevant.
This actually sounds like a big part of my problem. I'm not sure that it wouldn't still help me to research some more, though, but cutting screen time is definitely on my list.

>>7995418
There are many that seem interesting, but since I'm pretty new to reading, the rate of new ones popping up is just way faster than my current pace of reading can catch up with, so I end up not being able to decide between any of them, and whatever time I do spend reading I'm just not very motivated.

--

On second thought, maybe I just really am having unrealistic expectations for a beginner, and I should just try and be disciplined and finish the damn book, but it still just feels like I'm doing something wrong when all the hype I had about reading a particular novel or play dissipates the moment I sit down and realize that reading actually requires active effort, differently from theatre/film and music.
>>
>>7995389
They only appear to be random.
>>
Whatever I'm in the mood for. Always.
>>
>>7995512
Take a book, any book, and ride your bike to the library or park and leave your phone and computer behind.
Make it so you have nothing else to do but read.
Then read. Make a goal of 1 hour or 30 pages uninterrupted or something.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.