[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vonnegut
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: vonnegut.jpg (75 KB, 1002x675) Image search: [Google]
vonnegut.jpg
75 KB, 1002x675
In the few months that I have browsed this board I've seen a fair amount of contempt for Vonnegut.

Why is his work so hated here?
>>
>>7994567
Because EVERYONE loves Vonnegut, because he's great and accessible.

/lit/ attempts to be better than everyone else, not in HOW they read, but in WHAT they read.
Everyone outside of this little community who reads loves Vonnegut. Therefore, if /lit/ is to maintain its "better than" status, they must reject Vonnegut.
The truth of the matter is that most people on /lit/ have never read much Vonnegut. They claim to have read Pynchon -- the "better Vonnegut" -- but truthfully they only read 25 pages of Gravity's Rainbow and then pretended to understand the writing style while searching the plot elsewhere.

READ VONNEGUT /LIT/. HE IS PYNCHON IF PYNCHON HAD A SOUL AND ACTUALLY TRIED TO BE ENJOYABLE. STOP GIVING IN TO PINECONE'S BS.
>>
I liked Vonnegut when I was younger. I tried reading Jailbird yesterday but it didn't hold my attention. I think it's one of his shit books, though. His writing style is fun. He's simple and easy.
>>
So it goes.
>>
I like Vonnegut because he's imaginative but still has something powerful to say. Fiction that's too obsessed over being real is boring to me. Vonnegut is just fun.
>>
>>7994596
I've read all his novels, Jailbird was the last one I read and it's not great.
>>
i don't hate him but i think he's overrated. he's ok but i don't see why people fawn over him.
>>
vonnegut is the inception of books - he's fine and not -bad-, but the more you read the shittier he looks in comparison. but people freak out over him like they do over inception cause fo rmany people of a certain age it's the first time they've been exposed to something that's a hair "deeper" than the most basic shit
>>
>>7994567
SMUGNESS
I share his positions on nearly everything, but God-damn is he smug. I can't possibly imagine someone with a different view reading one of his books and becoming more open to his ideas because the tone can be so repellent.
>>
>>7994583
I was agreeing with this post until that anti-Pynchon diatribe.

I am a great fan of Kurt Vonnegut but you sound just bitter to have never been able to penetrate a Pynchon novel.

Pynchon's novels are some of the most pure joy I've ever found. I could reread his first three until I die.
>>
>>7994637
>V. and Lot 49 over Mason and Dixon
Come on son
>>
>>7994676
>V. and Lot 49 over Mason and Dixon
Easily. I consider Lot 49 pretty much as perfect a novel as there can be.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.