[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Grammar and Vocabulary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1459971117588.jpg (949 KB, 2160x2136) Image search: [Google]
1459971117588.jpg
949 KB, 2160x2136
How do I improve my grammar and vocabulary?

For my vocabulary, I was thinking of making flash cards of any words I come across that I don't know. But I feel like I might need more than that. Any other suggestions?

Improving my grammar is not as important to me as expanding my vocabulary, but I want to because I tend to talk like a Mong.
>>
>>7994195
Read?
>>
>>7994197
I do that, but then there are words that I don't know the meaning of and have to look it up in order to understand the sentence. This bothers me.
>>
>>7994195
You can expand your lexicon by peering at a goddamn dictionary.
>>
The problem with just trying flashcards on something as multi-applicable as a word is that you don't know the context as well. Find a way to obtain the information so that it is interconnected, if it isn't, it will just rot away in time.

I would recommend reading turn of the century literature, depending on how hardcore you want to go. Sherlock Holmes is always a good start.
>>
>>7994195
Read a lot more or try and write a bunch of poetry for a while.
>>
>>7994203
why would that bother you
>>
>>7994636
It doesn't bother me THAT much, but I just feel like my reading experience would improve if I didn't have to stop to look up a word.

>>7994321
That's why I thought the flashcard idea wasn't enough. Any recommended Sherlock Holmes books?
>>
>>7994647
if you stick to it and read a lot while diligently looking up words, you'll find you'll have to look up words with decreasing frequency

there are only that many words that come up in every day reading. you'll always come across words you have to look up, or words you've forgotten, but it will happen less and less.

flashcarding is stupid imo. improving vocab to read flips the order. just read and vocab will improve naturally.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.