[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /lit/ Do people in your family (or people close to you) read?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: nothing happens.jpg (122 KB, 500x749) Image search: [Google]
nothing happens.jpg
122 KB, 500x749
Hi /lit/

Do people in your family (or people close to you) read? What do they read? Do you feel stupid around them because of that? Do you feel enlighted and shit around them because of that? Did people ever made fun of you for reading "too much" or something like that?
>>
>>7990964

My Dad will dip into a sf/f novel once in a while.

My little brother's just getting into meme-/lit/ and he obviously doesn't quite understand them or literature in general. I'm kind of worried about it.

My Mom only reads self-help books. We have like a couple hundred of them she's read through. It's kind of depressing.

No making fun of others for reading too much in our family. Aside from me and my brother, we don't talk about books at all.
>>
>>7990981
>My little brother's just getting into meme-/lit/ and he obviously doesn't quite understand them or literature in general. I'm kind of worried about it.
What the fuck is meme-/lit/? Anyway he's still young, it's great if he reads anyway.
>>
>>7990981
starting with meme lit is a good thing anon. Its how people get into proper literature. the reason we meme stuff is so people will actually read them
>>
>>7990985

Infinite Jest, Gravity's Rainbow, Ulysses

I don't think he's truly, seriously, reading them. He just repeats phrases like, Wardine be cry lol.
>>
>>7990964
Neither of my parents read anything. My little sister used to read a little, before the drugs. She borrowed some genre fiction off of me, but never ended up reading any of them. My older sisters are probably not literate. Neither got past ninth grade and they've never had jobs.

Neither of my in-laws read, though my MIL picked up some book on Scientology a few months ago (a history, because she thinks they're weird) and kept bringing up that now "she reads too." I'm not sure if she's read it yet. Sister-in-law has read Twilight and Hunger Games, probably. But nothing besides that. Brother-in-law likes to do the "I don't have time to /read books/, I have a /life/" thing. Unfortunately in front of his daughters. They're almost 5 and 3 and neither can read yet.

So, none of my family members read. I have colleagues to talk about books with, so it doesn't bother me. It's awkward, though, because books always bring out a weird defensiveness in people. When my mom comes over she always brings up excuses about how she would read more except for excuse 1, excuse 2, etc. And it's always a little hard to not be able to talk about something that takes up a large portion of your life with people who are close to you.
>>
>>7990964

None of them do. I was the first reader in the family. The first to graduate high school. The first to go to college and the first to move away.
>>
my mom reads mystery novels and nonfiction memoirs, mostly. bestseller kind of things.

my sister, being 16, reads YA novels. really likes me and earl and the dying girl, but doesn't really like to read on the whole.

my brother likes game of thrones. first thing he's read in a long time

my father was the most literary of my family. he read things like Clive Cussler, Dan Brown, Tom Clancy, James Patterson, but he also had a huge collection of classics, and wrote two sci-fi novels. he was an English major

whenever I try to talk to any of them about books I'm reading, they say things like "I would never be able to read/get through/understand that" and shit like that. it pisses me off when they say stuff like that because they never try to begin with.
(I used to talk to my dad about books a fair bit. we talked about Shakespeare a lot when I was taking a class on him. I miss my dad. RIP.)
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.