[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think he was onto something in regards to Western society?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: wp.jpg (2 MB, 3389x1911) Image search: [Google]
wp.jpg
2 MB, 3389x1911
Do you think he was onto something in regards to Western society?

I think violence is sort of a new past time in the US. Whenever there's some shooting or disaster people eat it up. The media couldn't be happier, the liberal left get to scream about reform and new laws, the right get to scream about their rights and get super defensive and in the cluster of it all the actual event and victims are forgotten.
>>
>>7990727
Our major problem is a lack of violence, not too much.
>>
>>7990734
ok well I already know 4channer all crave violence
>>
>>7990727
>violence is sort of a new past time in the US
Violence has been on the decline in the US for decades. I personally think videogames as a release of aggression/zombifying factor are to "blame"
>>
>>7990738
http://www.citylab.com/crime/2015/09/violent-crime-rates-still-declining/408103/

Atlantic article for story and source. The only people who claim that violence is increasing are fear mongering politicians.
>>
>>7990735
All men crave some violence. That is why boys fight, wrestle and hit each other. Even their friends. And it's why we have been fighting wars for as long as anyone can remember.
It might be the lack of controlled violence that is causing men to have problems. What problems? That's an entirely different thread.
>>
>>7990742
>>7990738
OP here, I'm aware of that, Walker Percy was talking of how a secret desire for violence was brewing within people. So when we have these violent incidents, people eat it up secretly because they've been wanting to see it and everyone is distracted for a bit from their mundane lives.

I suppose this could be the case for many societies for centuries, but perhaps its a cycle?
>>
>>7990745
basically, we need to nut...
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.