[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone read the new DeLillo yet?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2
Anyone read the new DeLillo yet?
>>
Isn't it out in mid-May?
>>
Just bought the signed edition from Barnes and Noble with that pretty cool coupon. Will get it Wednesday or Thursday.
>>
H A U N T I N G
when the doctor finds his daughter behind the ice tanks :'(
>>
>>7990610
It's better than Shakespeare.
>>
>>7990614
I thought so too, that's the amazon date anyway. but it seems to be out in meatspace already

>>7990615
What's the deal with the signature exactly? Did you meet him?
>>
>>7990937
>Did you meet him?
If he did that'd be pretty remarkable seeing as how DeLillo is practically on the same tier as Pynchon and Salinger when it comes to public appearances
>>
File: 13086596.jpg (52 KB, 318x458) Image search: [Google]
13086596.jpg
52 KB, 318x458
What's with DeLillo covers and religious statues?
>>
>>7990610
Is DeLillo like Wallace and Franzen?
>>
>>7991014
take the worst of both and you'll get something approaching his shittiness
>>
>>7991014
In what way?
>>
>>7991023
is his writing boring? Does it have that look at me, I am socially inept and also depressive, but at the same time hug me because I need attention vibe?
>>
>>7991031
It's deadpan poetry, sometimes funny. Americana and White Noise are funny.
>>
>>7991031
>Does it have that look at me, I am socially inept and also depressive, but at the same time hug me because I need attention vibe?

No.

"Boring" depends on your taste.

Here's a bit I like from The Names:

>There were times when I thought Athens was a denial of Greece, literally a paving over of this blood memory, the faces gazing out of stony landscapes. As the city grew it would consume the bitter history around it until nothing was left but gray streets, the six-story buildings with laundry flying from the rooftops. Then I realised the city itself was an invention of people from lost places, people forcibly resettled, fleeing war and massacre and each other, hungry, needing jobs. They were exiled home, to Athens, which spread toward the sea and over the lesser hills out into the Attic plain, direction-seeking. A compass rose of memory.
>>
>>7991072
thats a dank little passage
>A compass rose of memory
FUUUUARK
>>
>>7991072
>A compass rose of memory.

idgi
>>
>>7991159

Their memories told them which way to go.

Which is the most banal, brain-dead thing to say. Wow, our present decisions are guided by past experiences?? You don't fucking say! 10/10 literary genius
>>
>>7990947
I saw him once walking around New York, where is is definitely a local. Like many writers he doesn't like drawing attention to himself, only his writing.
>>
>>7991031
His writing is not boring, in the sense that it never plods. I read somewhere that Delillo writes each paragraph on a single sheet, so that he can really see the organization of it. He spends a lot of time making sure each sentence has a ring to it, and that there is consistent inspiration throughout.

He's one of the better sentence writers out there, with a real ear for lyrical and unusual constructions or associations.

You can go wrong with him if you aren't sold on his subject matter though. He'll try to convince you that even two people sitting in a room talking about mundane things is somehow a mystical, special experience worthy of evocation.

His dialogue is notoriously pretentious as well. The characters talk as if they were clearly just vehicles for the author to have fun with the language, rather than believable speech.
>>
>>7990610
I like it a lot. He corrects on of the main problems I have with his characters which is that of sounding like philosphical robots. He still has long robotic philosophical soliloquies, but he assigns them to proper characters, researchers and religious figures (monks, scientists, philosophers) and the main character shows signs of autism or maybe it's OCD and he goes on bits of introspection that kinda leave me scracthing my head sometimes but it's really well written. his prose might be his best yet.

Death, identity, names, existentialism are some of the themes, but Im v sumb so might be wrong and or shit might be going over my head.
>>
>>7991207
Sweet.
>>
>>7991198
I saw Don DeLillo at a grocery store in New York yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “Beaner! Beaner! Beaner!” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him wheeze as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw DeLillo trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen baseballs in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each ball separately and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
>>
>>7990983
read the ending to underworld and i think you'll see it fits
>>
>>7991206
>His dialogue is notoriously pretentious as well. The characters talk as if they were clearly just vehicles for the author to have fun with the language, rather than believable speech.

wut

I never got this. Always thought his dialogue was really great and doesn't seem dated at all.
>>
Can someone tell me if the book's signatures are sewn, or is it a completely glued binding?

If you have the book, but you're unsure what I mean, just take a photo of the spine from above.

Thank you.
>>
>>7991342
real people dont talk like his characters. ofcourse I have only read his more recent works, so I cant speak for his earlier stuff. Maybe they are more human in those?
>>
>>7991345
Here's the first bit of dialogue I found opening Point Omega at random:

>"Look at all this," he said, not looking at it, the landscape and sky, which he'd indicated with a backwards sweep of the arm.

>We didn't look at it either.

>"Day turns to night eventually but it's a matter of light and darkness, it's not time passing, mortal time. There's none of the usual terror. It's different here, time is enormous, that's what I feel here, palpably. Time that precedes us and survives us."

You can see what that anon means, it's definitely not naturalistic. Perhaps a bit pretentious.

Personally I don't see it as a defect, there's nothing about seemingly "real" dialogue that is inherently superior.
>>
>>7991345
My copy is the american hardbound by Scribner and it is glued, why do you ask?
>>
Yeah, his dialogue isn't naturalistic, but it's awesome dialogue nonetheless.
>>
I still have to read The Names, Mao II, Underworld, Libra, and Ratner's Star. THEN I can get excited for this new book.
>>
>>7991361
I just have a thing about good binding.
>>
>>7990937

Nah. Barnes and Noble has a signed edition. It's the same price so might as well right? There's a coupon that gives you 20% off and free expedited shipping.
>>
>>7991365
It's good so far. It's very humid and hot where I live and I've taken out in the sun. I've had it for a week, and it doesnt look damaged.
>>
>>7990947
No he isn't, I said hi to him at an event in Toronto a month or so ago.

>>7991596
Ah, that's what I thought. I saw it in a tiny chain store in my neighbourhood that stocks mostly pleb-tier texts a few weeks ago, and I'm wondering if those might have been signed.
>>
>>7991018
as if faggot, Delillo is based
>>
>>7991277
what is the original of this pasta? I love this shit, laugh every time.
>>
Someone upload it to Lib Gen, I want to take read this shit.
>>
>>7992339
I saw Tao Lin at a grocery store in Brooklyn yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.
>>
>>7991354
>characters have to talk like real people
>>
>>7992940
I didnt say that. Check you autism meter.
>>
>>7992970
You have an autism meter?
>>
>>7992339
the original was flying lotus iirc
>>
Who gots the mobi
>>
>>7992339
Hideo Kojima
>>
any of yalls be mixin up old umbro ecco and tommy phynchon and old donny delliolio on accident, i mean it's all the same gobbeldygook pretty much lmao :D
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.