[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did he ever touch on free will and whether or not that was a spook?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1421735218654.jpg (46 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
1421735218654.jpg
46 KB, 800x534
Did he ever touch on free will and whether or not that was a spook?
>>
>>7990002
I will never look at The Ego and It's Own the same way ever again after that pic.
>>
>>7990036
*Its

I'm retarded sometimes.
>>
>>7990002
>Did he ever touch on free will and whether or not that was a spook?
He didn't and he probably wouldn't have considered it a spook since a) it doesn't meet the formal requirements: spook doesn't simply mean "not true" or "made up", but specifically a concept that exerts authority over the internal desires of the individual. The concept of "free will" does not seem to be capable of doing this.

b) On the contrary, getting rid of spooks doesn't really make sense if you argue against free will, because you need it in order to pursue your desires after getting un-spooked. Actually, arguing against free will doesn't really do anything because there is no practical way of 'acting upon the insight that free will doesn't exist'. Also Stirner wrote about will more explicitly in The Untrue Principle of Our Education, if you want to check that out. [as for "no free will", even people who explicitly deny free will spend the rest of their work tacitly treating humans as agents who make choices, see la Mettrie and Nietzsche for example]
>>
>>7990061
>there is no practical way of 'acting upon the insight that free will doesn't exist'

What if because of this knowledge you seek enlightenment?

>even people who explicitly deny free will spend the rest of their work tacitly treating humans as agents who make choices
But they do. People still choose, they just can't do so in a way way that's independent of the chains of cause and effect they are apart of and consist within.
>>
>>7990098
so what is changed by your opinion on free will? I don't see how either of the options chances anything. All my ambitions, desires and fears remain the same...
>>
>>7990105
>so what is changed by your opinion on free will?

The fact that it is tied directly to one's comprehension of enlightenment and lack of discreet self essence.

>All my ambitions, desires and fears remain the same.

Mine don't, since having free will would imply some kind of personal spirit capable of enforcing their will in the universe.
>>
why would stirner be wearing crocs?
>>
>>7990189
Because fashion is a spook!

I feel like we've just invented Stirner punchlines.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.