[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Marxism in Death of a Salesman
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 274x399) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 274x399
Did anyone else catch this? I feel like the play is filled with Marxist undertones that criticize the consumerist, capitalist society where Willy's labor is alienated and his commodity fetishism and desire for power ultimately leads to his death and the destruction of his family. Ben's character seems to me to represent a yearning for an outlet to express his true self and inner wilderness, but he is unable to do so because of the consumerist culture that surrounds him. His value system ends up corrupting his children so that they cannot live normal, happy lives as well.
>>
>Anti-consumerist=marxist
Wew lad
>>
Well, Arthur Miller was pretty well known for being anti-capitalist. His play All my Son's is about how there's more to life than the American dream of making money, the play points out the flaws in American society back then. Like the play points out how people equate love for their family with how much money they can make for them, no matter the cost
>>
>>7989898
I'm not saying Miller was a Marxist, but I think it is a critique of capitalism and its functionality, and not just consumer culture
>>
Exactly, Miller was brought under the house of unamerican activities though, so
> Miller = Marxist
>>
It's possible to analyze something without being against it.
>>
>>7989937
>bumps after 5 minutes

Welcome, newfag.
>>
>>7989949
Indeed, but not from a marxist perspective. At least, not from an orthodox one. It might treat alienation, but not in the way Marx inteded it: it doesn't treat the contradiction between labour and its product, but the contradiction between parameters of personal fulfillment in capitalism and the potenciality of its achievement.
>>
bvmp
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.