[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/Lit/ I'll be completely honest, I don't browse this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: b8fb44_5847172.jpg (117 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
b8fb44_5847172.jpg
117 KB, 1200x675
/Lit/ I'll be completely honest, I don't browse this board very much.

Recently, I finished my first novel ever, but I don't know where to go from here. Should I self publish? Or try and get it sent to a publisher?

Oh, and words of wisdom in publishing would be nice too.
>>
>>7988781
Definitely try to find a publisher, self publishing sinks good things in a sea of online swill.
>>
>>7988781
>Recently, I finished my first novel ever, but I don't know where to go from here.
TOP KEK

YOU HAVEN'T EVEN READ MORE THAN 1 NOVEL? READ ANOTHER ONE YOU AUTIST
>>
>>7988847
I meant writing, m8

You should try reading the rest of the post next time.

>>7988838
Hmm, aight, who's a good publisher? I can imagine there's some that fuck you over in editing or payment.
>>
>>7988856
THE WORKERS MUST SEIZE THE MEANS OF PRODUCTION

SELF-PUBLISH M8
>>
>>7988781
the next step is to edit it and get feedback from beta readers
>>
>>7988872
I've actually got a proofreader I met online looking over it, but he's been getting slow lately. Once I finish up the storyline, I was going to do a run through of the book myself.
>>
>>7988856
You should really accept a publishers edits and be willing to compromise when they edit certain parts of your work.
>>
>>7988933
Did you literally just finish a first draft? i wouldn't even think about publishing til you have a few good drafts. I recently was talking to Millicent Bennett (she's currently executive editor at Grand Central, was senior editor at Simon & Schuster, formerly editor at Ecco and Random House) and here's a rough rundown of what she told me:

1) Finish your book completely before you even think about looking for an agent. Though they sometimes will help you edit your book before sending it to a publisher, it will help to have your best work available to score the best agent. Make sure your first page will really grab the agent, it will help down the line with publishers as well. With agents it's all about finding one with the best contacts at the publishing houses anyway.

2) Once you are ready to look for an agent, try finding one who represents books like yours. A good way to find one is pick books similar to yours and look in the acknowledgements for the writer's agent.

3) Be sure that you have a well polished query letter when contacting an agent. You don't just want to describe plot, but also give a feeling of what it's about thematically. Also, most of the time you only have one chance with these people, so don't prematurely send them shit because they probably won't look at your work again.
4)You're still a long way out once you have an agent, but they'll have a good idea of what house would be interested in you and will send the queries out for you. From there, if your book goes to auction you need to decide which editor/publisher would be best for you/your book, not just the biggest dollar amount.

We talked about more, but mostly editorial things.
>>
>>7989036
Actually, I have had people helping me go over stuff from the beginning for a while now. Once I got the book actually completed narrative wise I was going to go back and look at those first few chapters to make sure they felt the same as my current stuff.

So, how exactly would I go about looking for an agent? I'm guessing it's probably just going to be digging for one of my own?
>>
File: 8b7bf4_5786991.jpg (2 MB, 4194x2340) Image search: [Google]
8b7bf4_5786991.jpg
2 MB, 4194x2340
>>7989882
Bumping this
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.