[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished Name of the Wind The bad: >Main character
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: The_Name_of_the_Wind_(UK)_cover.jpg (405 KB, 1666x2560) Image search: [Google]
The_Name_of_the_Wind_(UK)_cover.jpg
405 KB, 1666x2560
Just finished Name of the Wind

The bad:

>Main character is teenage a cuck
>Nothing big really happens in the book
>Main character is some kind of superhero, way too smart compared any other characters in the book, always know the answer and always know what to do
>Some of the characters feel very dull, for example the main character's two best friends, i can't even remember their names and characteristics.
>The world doesn't feel immersive and rich, the author only describes the environment around the protagonist.
>Bad environment description overall, i honestly couldn't imagine how some of the main scenes (main cities, university etc) look like.
>Muh muzik3deep5u

The good:

>Godtier writing. probably the best writing i ever saw in a fantasy book
>The magic \ spell system is unique and well thought, it's not just stupid pew pew magic, it's science & physic based.
>Decent sub-stories alongside the main story.

Final score : 8\10.

I'm not 100% i'll read the next book.
>>
File: 1318684371513.jpg (18 KB, 376x433) Image search: [Google]
1318684371513.jpg
18 KB, 376x433
>>7988722
Cool blog.
>>
>>7988722
Next book is better. Expands. Also, you have to realize his story is character driven so it makes sense to center the worldbuilding around the character. It reads like Arabian Nights for a reason.
>>
>>7988722
>Godtier writing
Lmao
There was a thread about this fatass earlier today about how his books are entirely self-insert wish fulfillment, featuring an immortal sex goddess who tells the protag that she doesn't believe he's a virgin because he's just SO GOOD AT SEX WOW. Shit is just so laughably stupid that I could never take the book seriously after that if I tried to read it.
>>
>>7988741
Take Dune for example, it also has character driven story but it's one of the best worldbuilding \ world exploring i have ever seen
>>
>>7988764
Idk man, i didn't read it in english, so maybe it's not as good in english, but i really liked the writing, it's has more /lit/ quality values to it, unlike the script style writing in game of thrones.
>>
>>7988722
Your 'good' reveals how you aren't very well read, but the second book is an embarassing wankfest even compared to the travesty of the first one. Literally twilight for nerds.

everything that you complained about gets 10x worse as rothfuss goes full retard.

Here's an excerpt from the virgin 16-year old being so awesome at teh sex that an ancient goddess of sex and death doesn't believe he's a virgin after they fuck.

"Some of the fire left her, but when she found her voice it was tight and dangerous. “my skills 'suffice'?” She hardly seemed able to force out the last word. Her mouth formed a thin, outraged line.

I exploded, my voice a roll of thunder. “How the hell am I supposed to know? It's not like I've ever done this sort of thing before!”

She reeled back at the vehemence of my words, some of the anger draining out of her. “what is it you mean?” she trailed off, confused.

“This!” I gestured awkwardly at myself, at her, at the cushions and the pavilion around us, as if that explained everything.

The last of the anger left her as I saw realization begin to dawn, “you...”

“No,” I looked down, my face growing hot. “I have never been with a woman.” Then I straightened and looked her in the eye as if challenging her to make an issue of it.”

Felurian was still for a moment, then let her mouth turn up into a wry smile. “you tell me a faerie story, my kvothe.”

I felt my face go grim. I don't mind being called a liar. I am. I am a marvellous liar. But I hate being called a liar when I'm telling the perfect truth.

Regardless of my motivation, my expression seemed to convince her. “but you were like a gentle summer storm.” She made a fluttering gesture with a hand. “you were a dancer fresh upon the field.” Her eyes glittered wickedly."

If juvenile male power fantasy is your thing, read book 2. If not, the other folk in threads we had today have been posting this
http://ferretbrain.com/articles/article-751
in lieu of typing up why Rothfuss is dildoes for the thousandth time.
>>
>>7988722

The Bad:

>It all began when Pat Rothfuss was born to a marvelous set of parents. Throughout his formative years they encouraged him to do his best, gave him good advice, and were no doubt appropriately dismayed when he failed to live up to his full potential.
>In high-school Pat was something of a class clown. His hobbies included reading a novel or two a day and giving relationship advice to all of his female friends despite the fact that he had never so much as kissed a girl. He also role-played and wrote terrible stories about elves. He was pretty much a geek.
>For the next seven years Pat studied anthropology, philosophy, eastern religions, history, alchemy, parapsychology, literature, and writing. He studied six different martial arts, practiced improv comedy, learned how to pick locks, and became a skilled lover of women. He also began writing a satirical advice column which he continues to this day: The College Survivial Guide. Through all of this he continued to work on his novel.
>Now Pat teaches half-time at his old school as an assistant-sub-lecturer. He is underpaid but generally left alone to do as he sees fit with his classes. He is advisor for the college feminists, the fencing club, and, oddly enough, a sorority. He still roll-plays occasionally, but now he does it in an extremely sophisticated, debonair way.
>>
>>7988814
>twilight for nerds
you hit the nail on the head right there
>>
File: 0741 - 1HK6kUP.jpg (7 KB, 228x221) Image search: [Google]
0741 - 1HK6kUP.jpg
7 KB, 228x221
>>7988814
>>
>>7988722
Elodin and Auri are the best things about that series. Unfortunately, both main characters suck and most of the supporting cast lack any true character.
>>
>>7989032
The angry bitch across the river is entertaining I guess.
>>
>>7983848
>>
Most people here arnt going to give you anything insightful about the novel so just ignore them. They'll just call it a self insert power trip but dont realize how fucking stupid that statement is since Kvothe is a pitiful excuse of a hero in the current time of the story. Its about the downfall of his character, not how amazing he is.
>>
>>7988814
dafuq

trigger warning next time please
>>
>>7988814
>>7989057

OP of that thread & who posted that review. Forgot to mention that the creator of that review said something even better in the comments. The last couple sentences in particular. He was arguing with someone who said wish-fulfillment is fine because the heroes in the myths of old (such as Amadis de Gaula, etc.) fulfilled the wishes of the reader by overcoming adversity.

>That said the other important difference between Amadis and Kvothe is this.

>Yes, both Amadis and Kvothe are highly skilled at what they do, but the crucial difference is how the two characters are supposed to relate to their *target audience*.

>Amadis the Gaul was a chivalric romance. Its target audience would have been very broad, since it was almost certainly based on an existing popular narrative, and while there may be a narrow section of people who heard or read the story who really were, or really aspired to be, knights, the vast majority would not have been, and would not have ever thought they could be (the fourteenth century was not, after all, known for its vast social mobility). He may have had individual virtues which individual readers might have recognized in themselves, but I see no evidence at all that he was supposed to be a stand-in for the reader.

>Kvothe, by contrast, has a variety of qualities which his target audience (teenage geeks) are *extremely* likely to possess, and which grant him amazing abilities with little or no effort on his part. For example:

>* He is extremely clever and this makes him excellent at schoolwork
>* He is particularly skilled at technical subjects
>* His supernatural powers come largely from understanding concrete technical laws (many of which are specifically derived from real-world physics and engineering)
>* He is awkward around women
>* He has had a very small amount of martial arts training
>* He was picked on as a child but came into his own at university

>All of these are qualities which the book's target audience are *extremely likely* to identify with *specifically*. You don't look at Kvothe and admire him for his cleverness, you look at him and you recognize in him your *own* cleverness, all of his skills parallel skills which geeks have in the *real world*. He's not somebody to look up to, he's *you*. Even his flaws are really virtues (his awkwardness with women, for example, actually makes him *more* attractive to the opposite sex).

>That's the difference between a mythic or an inspirational story and wish fulfillment. A mythic hero embodies virtues to which you aspire, but which you know that you do not truly possess. A wish-fulfillment character has all of the same qualities you already have, but they work the way you *want* them to work instead of the way they really work. So your creepy inability to speak to women is transformed into an endearing shyness, your six months of kendo really does make you brilliant at fighting, and your nerdboy hobbies are the secret to saving the universe.
>>
>>7989032
Agree..

tbqh family, It's impossible not to love Elodin, he's the dumbledore of the book
>>
>>7989140
the part where Kvothe jumped off a fucking tower because he thought Elodin would save him was hilarious. Best part of the novel
>>
>>7988722
>first time I see a Kingkiller thread
>/lit/ shits on it
by now I should realize the ch0n hates everything, but it still bums me out

and yeah, I fucking love Elodin. also I just started The Silent Regard of Small Things, not sure what to expect.
>>
>>7989392
>I just started The Silent Regard of Small Things, not sure what to expect.

More Kvothe dicksucking despite him not even being present

Oh and some stuff about Auri's day to day life, but mostly about her existing to be Kvothe's quirky acquaintance and her attempts to please him
>>
>>7989409
>implying you wouldn't suck Kvothe's dick

also Doors Of Stone W H E N ?
and do you think he'll finish the story with only 3 books? it's called the fucking Kingkiller Chronicle and there ain't even a fucking king yet.
>>
>>7989418
>and do you think he'll finish the story with only 3 books?
Not in the slightest. It'll be like GRRM's books: first planned to be a trilogy, then five books, and then OH OOPS seven books. All twenty years late or so.
>>
>>7989392
>the ch0n
That is some ready player one tier shit right there anon. Disgraceful.
This board is about literature, so it should come as no surprise that books which are garbage are described as such. I honestly see no way you can read that description of the post-sex scene above and not physically cringe at how awful it is.
You belong on /v/ at best.
>>
>>7988722
>godtier writing
Lol what the fuck
>>
File: name.jpg (258 KB, 1913x840) Image search: [Google]
name.jpg
258 KB, 1913x840
EXPLAIN THIS.
>>
>>7989392
>ch0n hates everything

No, just no.
I honestly tried my best to enjoy it, one of my best friend which i trust his taste (not anymore) recommend it, but to me, except of the writing which i still think is very fucking good, i have absolutely no idea how the book got so many good reviews, like here for example
>>7989819
>>
>>7989711
> I honestly see no way you can read that description of the post-sex scene above and not physically cringe at how awful it is.

After Nasu's writing, I don't see how that is possible.
>>
File: 1376940511321.jpg (79 KB, 642x642) Image search: [Google]
1376940511321.jpg
79 KB, 642x642
>>7989819
Fucking reddit.

>Rules: No memes
>ASOIAF over LOTR
>>
>>7990800
Rules: Everything is fine until you disagree with me, i'll downvote you to death you hear me?!
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.