[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you people edit you're writing? It's do damn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
How do you people edit you're writing? It's do damn difficult for me.

The fun of writing to me is the planning part and the actual writing part. The parts where you feel like you're really letting your creativity flow and you're expressing yourself.

But editing is like this nightmare of gruelingly scrutinizing every mistake in your writing. It feels tedious, and at worst, depressing.

How do you do it /lit/? Any tips?
Editing and bitching about writing general I guess.
>>
>>7988260
your* FUCK
>>
>>7988260
Reading your own work will always be emotionally draining. I've shown stuff to others that they unironically love that I'll never publish.

Write your draft by hand. Get a nice pen or a smooth pack of pencils. Rewrite while you're typing.
>>
>>7988285
>write by hand, rewrite while typing
That's actually really smart, I'll try that next time
>>
>>7988260
Seems like you've had a relatively romantic view of writing until this point. Hate to break it to you, OP, but writing, as with every other type of work on the planet, is boring and painful. You're not going to be constantly reprojecting your imagination onto the page in orgasms of creativity as you've probably noticed. That's one part of writing, yes, but editing and rewriting, if you're a good craftsman, should probably take up a majority of your time. The self-expression that comes with art of all forms takes a shit load of effort to fine tune. The cellist obviously doesn't just pick up the cello and express himself beautifully: he has to callus his hands and train his muscle memory with excessive practice, which, at times, is exceedingly tedious and frustrating. Just remember that there's light at the end of the tunnel, because it is only by working extremely hard at something and succeeding that you're able to feel a profound amount of pride for your art. Just think of the boredom and the pain of editing as the painful but necessary means to a glorious end.
>>
>>7988324
I suppose I am still pretty naive when it comes to writing as a whole. I'm still very new to this, and I'm not really sure of what I was expecting. I do enjoy it though, and I wish to git gud. But thanks, you've inspired me to roll up my sleeves and get to work. I'm currently editing the piece that I've been postponing.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.