[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the best books for an overall view on world mythology?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: greek-mythology1.jpg (157 KB, 800x336) Image search: [Google]
greek-mythology1.jpg
157 KB, 800x336
What are the best books for an overall view on world mythology? I've read a few on Greek and Norse many years ago, but it's fascinating and I'd like to know more.
>>
read errybodies epics lol

try angela carter's book of fairytales, which has a range of later stories from all over the world and should be a nice introduction.
you could buy into the campbell jungian one world trip and read the hero's journey/hero with a thousand faces etc which references a lot of myths from around the world too.
>>
>>7986821
Read the sticky

Edith Hamilton's mythology is the default book, though there are other very good options
>>
Metamorphoses
>>
File: Joseph Campbell.jpg (38 KB, 504x648) Image search: [Google]
Joseph Campbell.jpg
38 KB, 504x648
>>7986821
Joseph Campbell's stuff for a macro overall view.
>>
>>7986840
That's what inspired me to read more. I just read "The Hero With a Thousand Faces" and I want to see the pattern play out.
>>
>>7986849
>I want to see the pattern play out.
Oh well, read the source materials then.

Do we have a chart on those /lit/?
>>
Jordan B Peterson - Maps of Meaning
His lectures are damn good too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fKZPRAPT1w&list=PL22J3VaeABQAhrMCQUa6sde_Y9DVbLYRv&index=2

Imo he has the most sophisticated and "real" view of mythology that there is.
>>
>>7986840
>>7986849
LOL!
>>
>>7986869
>tfw ghostbutters
>;_;
we're bound to have one somewhere
>>7986849
if you want other patterns:

>The Uses of Enchantment- Bettelheim (Freudian fairytales)
>From The Beast to The Blonde- Warner (anything by Marina Warner you'll probably like)
>Women Who Run With Wolves- Pinkola Estes (womyn are primal)
>Little Red Riding Hood Uncloaked- Orenstein (Red Riding Hood)
>>
>>7986833
>try angela carter's book of fairytales, which has a range of later stories from all over the world ..

with le feminism and le sexuality twist!

but they are good nonetheless, just not for the purposes of OP's quest

read epics of all the peoples, as was suggested already
>>
>>7986849
>>7986901
btw for full autism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aarne–Thompson_classification_systems
>>
>>7986917
her book of fairytales isn't the feminist retwist stories you're thinking about a la the bloody chamber.

it's a collection of fairytales, in the vein of calvino's fairy tales or jacob's or grimms', so the most librulfeminism it gets is including inuit stories because inuits are fucked up worse than twitter.
>>
>>7986894
>Maps of Meaning
What's wrong with Campbell?

>>7986901
Thank you for the wide selection. Are Warner's books written to contrast with Campbell?

>>7986936
Since it's a collection of fairy tales is it a book that should be read in chunks over time rather than all at once?
>>
>>7987311
You can move around in the collection: read all the stories from one area first, or just go section by section.

Warner isn't much of a contrast with Campbell, but if you like him, you'll probably love her if you can get over the "female" focus being about the same as Campbell's "male" focus without virginPTSD.

Here's her series for the Reith lectures. There's a transcribed book of the series if it's location blocked. It's sort of doing what Campbell did with analysing myths except with analysisng [then] current media added on.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00gmw3z/episodes/player
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.