[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/shit written in your used books/ general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6
File: IMG_20160501_015222.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160501_015222.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>marking up a nice book with notes like this

Literally the best part of the book so far (pg 96-100 in delilios falling man) and this idiot who owned the book before me felt the need to pencil in "tmi" also at the back they wrote "there seems to be many characters who pop in and out in a seemingly chaotic way".

Not sure what other gems are in here. Thankfully not too much. Post yours. Good, bad, pleb
>>
In my used copy of The Sun Also Rises some ignorant high school girl had penciled in the opening and closing years of World War I
>>
>>7984756
If it's not a rare edition or just a really nice one, what's wrong with marking up a book?
>>
>>7984783
I love that overly slanted romantic writing. That's funny. Some people keep memorabilia from past relationships, other people purge.
>>
>>7984756
Some retard wrote down Hart Crane's complete poetry (I mean, each line, word-for-word) in my copy of The Recognitions. I can't even comprehend the level of autism it takes to do something like that. I'm lucky my copy of JR didn't have, like, fucking Pound's socio-economic writings in it.
>>
>>7984756
Some nice gentleman annotated my 35 dollar used "Complete Collection of Plato" book with almost unreadable cursive notes before each dialogue. Things like "Got mad at Socrates cause he insult them but he right", "Theatetus is smart at geometry bad at arguing". Stupid shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>
"Frankie

I was given a copy of this book in 1976. Since that time I have shared it with many strong women friends. I hope you will find it as thought provoking as we have. Thanks for all you do.

Patti"

Found on the first page of Knowing Woman by Irene Claremont De Castillo. It's a pretty cool book written by a female Jungian. She goes deep. Not too long of a book. Gives you a lot to think about.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/229925.Knowing_Woman
>>
Jesus is all of Delilo this fucking garbage?
>>
>>7984857
Post a pic. This sounds interesting
>>
>>7984919
>White pussy is nothin but trouble

Ain't that the truth brutha
>>
>>7984919

What book is this? Is this the Iceberg Slim meme book?
>>
>used books
Might as well share a syringe too, you degenerate fucks.
>>
>>7984756
yeah, that's nothing, someone drew what i assume to be a drumstick (chicken leg) on the inner back cover of my copy of journey to the end of the night
>>
>>7985216
post a pic nigga
>>
>>7985229
i took one, but i can't find my cable to connect my camera to the pc
>>
File: a bout de poulet.jpg (2 MB, 1872x3328) Image search: [Google]
a bout de poulet.jpg
2 MB, 1872x3328
>>7985229
>>7985333
found it, here goes
>>
>>7985357

lol, nice file name too
>>
>>7985357
That's a hot air balloon.
>>
>>7985357
I think it's just a really bad drawing of a wine glass
>>
picked up a book on Hitler at the local church fete. someone had left loads of post it notes on how he could of survived, where he was sighted etc. gave me a giggle at least
>>
>>7985389
interesting, didn't think of that, but if it is, it's a very badly drawn air balloon

>>7985395
if it were a wine glass, it would be one that would always fall over since its bottom is to small
>>
>>7984968
yea he blows
>>
>>7985333
>apparently it's still 2005
>>7984968
Delilo is great. Probably one of the best authors alive
>>
>>7985443
>owning the newest technical gadgets is like the most important thing ever
>>
>>7984919
* holy moly
>>
In one of my short stories collection, some guy wrote his review of each stories on the blank page preceding each of them. It's mostly short comments like "Great story!" or "Dark!"
>>
>>7985357
its an upside down glass vial
>>
>>7985583
>implying smartphones are new
>>
>>7984756

But that's valid criticism. FM is one of DeLillo's weakest works
>>
>>7987452
That's great news because this is my first Delilo and I have been enjoying his style very much.
>>
>>7984863
35 dollars used? Senpai...
>>
>>7987534

Then I'm afraid you are a pleb
>>
File: CLAIMED.jpg (143 KB, 646x1024) Image search: [Google]
CLAIMED.jpg
143 KB, 646x1024
>>7984756

>testing the forces that govern events

>he's talking about a home poker game

Someone help me out here, recently lost my reaction image folder. Confusion or disgust, please.
>>
File: 1462095183372.gif (2 MB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1462095183372.gif
2 MB, 320x320
>>7987572

>book about 9/11 can't use abstract/heightened language
>>
>>7987572
you can get some epic reaction images on /b/, bro.
>>
>>7984848
People read to learn, anon. No reason to be cruel .
>>
>>7984756
This is a real problem at my local second-hand bookstore. In an otherwise immaculate copy of Poe's Complete Stories the pages of 'The Purloined Letter' are really sticky and some kid has clearly been doing his math homework in the margins. I also acquired a copy of Badiou's Being and Event from the same store and in the front the same kid has written a dedication to someone called Julia, in the form of a poem in the style of a Slovenian translation of Mallarmé. As far as I can translate it seems to be about fisting Mao's corpse. There's quite an extensive film studies section there too but honestly this experience has put me off shopping there again.
>>
>>7987424
>implying newphones are smart
>>
I once read a library copy of the World as Will and Idea. On several pages, someone crossed out every 'him' and 'he' with 'her' and 'she'.

The person then wrote a miniature essay at the bottom of the page about why it was wrong for Schoppy to be a misogynist.
>>
>>7987875
What the fuck is your problem ? It's like finding a pearl in an oyster, faggot.

A book is a living continuous object, not some fresh-printed white dead bullshit.

It's much more interesting to have a copy you shared with previous owner and that has little notes and shit than some boring sterile trash.

Honestly wtf is wrong with you

>>7989944
Top kek, I have a girl buddy from uni that's heavily into Schoppy, and never once was she rustled by his misogynism, she even concedes he has good arguments from time to time even if most of it seems to stem from bitterness.
>>
File: evental SHITE amirite.gif (44 KB, 400x223) Image search: [Google]
evental SHITE amirite.gif
44 KB, 400x223
>>7987875
>the pages of 'The Purloined Letter' are really sticky
>a Slovenian translation of Mallarmé
>fisting Mao's corpse
>>
>>7985051
What is google
https://books.google.com/books?id=0ZwsGjyc8bYC&pg=PA33&lpg=PA33&dq=i%27d+be+a+fugitive+from+my+mind+if+i+had+me+some+snow&source=bl&ots=FXKQV6iqsD&sig=C7RvQGKDb-C_5sS6DFAwetQ-TWU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi3lpHRgrzMAhVOzGMKHdyrAQkQ6AEIHTAA#v=onepage&q=i'd%20be%20a%20fugitive%20from%20my%20mind%20if%20i%20had%20me%20some%20snow&f=false
>>
I was reading a used Sophocles and one line something like "deathless athene" and next to it written "does this mean she is immortal?" and I wanted to burn the thing. It's like someone talking over a movie.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.