[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Friend writes a rough draft of a novel he's envisioning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1407831386744.jpg (5 KB, 160x120) Image search: [Google]
1407831386744.jpg
5 KB, 160x120
>Friend writes a rough draft of a novel he's envisioning and makes me read it
>it's shit
>too polite him to tell him that it's bad and riddled with cliches that has been visited by writers across thousands of years
>try to stealthily recommend him to read some books that are similar to the genre he's going for so he can improve
>"lol I don't read books."
>tell him that his book is not going to be popular due to its hobbyist nature
>"nah anon I don't care about fame, I have already shown my book to several friends and they all enjoy it, I like to keep it this way."

SEND HELP

also share similar stories
>>
>>7984457
>writes book
>"lol I don't read books."
People do this?
>>
>>7984457
get a new friend
>>
>>7984463
He's a pretty good guy to have around at most times and he's definitely not stupid. I have no idea why he went full retard on this issue.

>>7984462
He believes watching the movie adaptions of books are better than actually reading them. I had to keep my face straight when I hear this the first time.
>>
>>7984457
Call him a fgt
>>
>>7984457
Tell him how you feel in great detail. I critique stuff for friends and I'm pretty mean about it sometimes but we're still boys.
>>
>>7984475
>He believes watching the movie adaptions of books are better than actually reading them.

It is better.

If you're going to direct a movie.
>>
>>7984475

>he's not stupid

oh okay, you're even worse for complaining about it on /lit/ passing it off as something of interest, saged and reported.
>>
>>7984475
You complain on lit and believe there's nothing of an issue?

Fuck off.
>>
>>7984457
>not just telling him straight up his shit sucks
You're a bad friend Anon.
>>
>>7984792
knowing how to direct a movie can make you a better writer

it's not gonna help shit prose, but it does help
>>
>>7984457
The next time you meet him, tell him "You know what? About that novel you're writing... I lied. It's shit."

Then explain yourself , telling him what precisely is shit about his writing. If you're not hopelessly autistic, you should easily find a way around this awkward hurdle
>>
Ktf.
I entered college this year and at the beginning of the semester I knew this cool guy who semt to know about movies. He had been paid for writing in some film website (which is pretty unusual in Spain), and he semt quite of a kind dude; he's 29 (10 years more than me) and he gave that sort of bohemian/happy and selfconscious loser vibes. As the semester passed, I realized that the only area he had knowledge on (although it is of an encyclopedic magnitude) is Hollywood movies. He knows literally every shitty american movie that went out from the 40's to the 90's even if it's some irrelevant one. Also, he's into Hemingway, Stephen King and genre shit; he posts some of his writings, which have a really cringy Bukowski flavour, on his Facebook. Nigga hadn't heard about Carver, and I lent him "Cathedral" the other day cuz I thought he may like it.
>>
>>7984457
> "I have already shown my book to several friends and they all enjoy it"

This hits close to home. My brother is of the same mentality about his own written work. I don't understand how people aren't aware enough to realise that their own friends are being polite when they read their work/ if they read their work, and that they are also not professionals/publishers/agents that know what to look for in prose. It's also frustrating that these types never read anything outside of YA.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.