[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what is the most important quality of a writer? What make a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: cat22.jpg (133 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
cat22.jpg
133 KB, 1600x1200
what is the most important quality of a writer?

What make a good writer?

What make a bad writer?

pic totally related.
>>
File: Ajanta_Cave_1_painting_4.jpg (2 MB, 1600x1651) Image search: [Google]
Ajanta_Cave_1_painting_4.jpg
2 MB, 1600x1651
Truthfulness, accuracy of metaphor... There's a lot that goes into it. There's not really one good answer. If you are interested in the question Borges has some Harvard lectures called "This Craft of Verse" and Tolstoy, a book called "What Is Art". Everybody has their pet aesthetic theory, but try not to get caught up in these.
Go read Homer, Whitman, Virgil, Crane, Dante, The Bible, and any religious text which has existed/persisted. All of these share in genuineness and truth in expression. I don't think that the traits of a good author are wholly discernable, and you should read some more to understand why if you haven't already. Best answer I can give you bb :- ).
>>
This is such a hard question...Depends what sort of writer you want to be though. Do you want to be James Joyce or do you want to write the next 50 shades of grey?
They require different approaches to writing. There are many techniques and word plays and word usage and techniques specific to the particular experience of reading a book.
When you want to create something truly unique you have to start thinking about art and what makes something a work of art and of course the relations between kitsch, art and mass media...
Today because of the massive amounts of available media and creative works even if you create something complex and unique it might go unnoticed.
You have ot give an immediate reason for others to spend time thinking about your work.
One might say that you have to include within your work kitsch on purpose to grab audiance and also make it in a way that would attract interpretations.
Through kitsch which is sort of a language on its own you navigate and force people to become invested in your work.
When we talk of cinema many of the most appreciated films(although i dont agree with such assesments) are works that are appreciated because of the massive amount of interpretative scholership. Take hitchcock, some of his movies, like vertigo are considered so amazing simply because of the wave of his movies that hit france all at once allowing them to suddenly be noticed and interpreted all at once.
>>
>>7982510
I don't aim to be a 50 shades of grey writer, for I write light-philosophical adventure story. Also, I don't aim to become some one to be remembered for eternity. I aim to be a good, industry-standard adventure story writer whose stories are easy to read, epic, and contain a decent amount of moral.
>>
>>7982540
As long as you understand the "moral" in such stories remains on the level of an amusing thought.
Not something that would change how people think of life.
>>
>>7982393
>cat22
I know you are holding cat pictures out on me!
>>
a nice headshot on the back cover
>>
Try to find the preface gass writes in the heart of the heart of the country. Everything you need to know is there.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.