[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/, I'm a fucking pleb but I want to read Shakespeare
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
Hey /lit/, I'm a fucking pleb but I want to read Shakespeare because that's what smart people do, can you kind people point me in the right direction for some good annotated editions of his work?
>>
Oxford Shakespeare
>>
File: 1396652687363.png (128 KB, 308x308) Image search: [Google]
1396652687363.png
128 KB, 308x308
>>
>>7981887
If English is your first language you shouldn't need annotations. If you ever reach a passage you don't totally get, read it through a few times and you should get it. Doing this, I've never had a problem understanding shakespeare. There's some words like ere and wherefore that you might need to learn the meaning of but t b h f a m I covered that in high school.
>>
Get The Oxford Shakespeare and Shakespeare's Words. Get.
>>
>>7981894
terrible advice. not everyone can just jump into shakespeare.

@ op: any decent publisher will have sufficient annotatiosn for you to get the meaning. oxford, arden (notes are a bit excessive), norton, riverside, pelican, cambridge, etc. etc.

don't be afraid to use something like sparknotes. if you're really having trouble try reading a summary of the play, or maybe a scene, before reading it, and then you'll fine words make a lot more sense when you know what happening.

start with a famous play. hamlet, macbeth, king lear, twelfth night, julius caesar, romeo and juliet, richard iii, henry v, are all good choices. avoid the slapstick comedies to start - they're usually very heavily based on 16th/17th century puns and jokes and slang.
>>
>>7981894
There's arcane and out-of-use words in Shakespeare. Not saying there's enough to hinder the understanding but they are there, I'm too lazy to get up and open a book and flip through it to find a few. I like the Folger Shakespeare Library, they don't mark up the pages with annotations or footnotes, they're on the opposite page. I bought a copy of MacBeth that was very scholarly and printed at like Yale University or something, with commentary and criticism from Hungry Hungry Hippo Bloom, the Masticator, and I like reading it for all the meaty academia but the play is impossible to read it has so many notes.

Folger is the way to go. Plus I fold back pages like a savage and bring my books all around town, they're ugly and cheap copies (practically free) so I never feel any guilt.
>>
>>7981890
>>7981898
These are excellent choices. I heartily second them.

From one pleb to another I'm going to give you some pleb advice: start with one of the lesser known, somewhat lighter plays - something like Twelfth Night. Also, read the play once, don't stress about not getting it all on the first pass, then go and WATCH the play on YouTube - not a film version of the play, but actually watch thespians performing the play. A play, for all that it is written, is meant to be seen and heard as well. Then read it again.
>>
>>7981911
I'm the Folger Shakespeare guy I'm just wondering why these editions are never recommended on here. Are they bad? Do they have funky editing compared to Oxford? I have only read his plays and Sonnets from these books so I have nothing to compare them to, and don't know much about Shakespeare outside of reading and watching his plays (though I'm a big fan of them).
>>
>>7981924
they';re not bad, they're just budget and designed for high school students. the complementary material tends to be sparse (read: non existent)
>>
Watch it being performed, so you can "get" the mannerisms and the way they act
>>
How's the RSC Complete?

I'd like one with a glossary and a reasonable amount of notes (but not overkill)
>>
>>7981932
This, you can buy dvd's from the Globe's site and they are pretty cheap. Or you can download them illegally, of course. I would recommend you rather watch then read his plays, at least at first, especially his comedies. That's how I got into Shakespeare.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.