[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain to me why Slaughterhouse Five is a good book?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: download.jpg (10 KB, 182x277) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10 KB, 182x277
Can someone explain to me why Slaughterhouse Five is a good book?

I just read it and it seems to really ramble on. The story doesn't feel to be all that good either. Couldn't he have made the same points he wanted to make but in a more straightforward and pleasant manner?

I liked Cat's Cradle though.

Also any recommendations for more accessible literary classics?
>>
It's not, Reddit lied to you.
>>
>>7981750
this
>>
In the years since Slaughterhouse-Five was first published in 1969, it has become part of the world’s consciousness. The book explores fate, free will, and the illogical nature of human beings. Its sensibility is a direct descendant of that of Mark Twain, who, like Vonnegut, used humor to deal with the world’s horrors. Vonnegut was anti-war, anti-religion, anti-hypocrisy, anti-the-glamorizing-of-war, and was specifically opposed to the bombing of Dresden, a city which was not supposed to be bombed because of its art and architectural treasures. This was one of Vonnegut’s many paradoxes. Art was sufficient to protect a city from being bombed—but the loss of human life was not important enough. In fact, the destruction of people was the point and purpose of war.
>>
>>7981748
It isn't.
Vonnegut is a hack loved by /r/books and 'edgy' highschool kids
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.