[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was pynchon trying to invoke a sense of irrational racial paranoia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 350x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 350x500
Was pynchon trying to invoke a sense of irrational racial paranoia in his audience by subtly implying that every character in V. is Jewish?

Seriously, like, I just realized this. They're all Jewish. All of them.
>>
>>7981366
It's especially weird when you notice how kind of out of place it is for most characters.

Brazilian guy? Jewish.

Irish national? Jewish.

British officer in the Victorian era? Jewish.

Catholic priest? Jewish.

V. and the Godolphins might be the only exceptions. It's so damn weird and I have no idea what impact it has on the narrative or interpretation.
>>
>>7981366
I've never read V., but from what I know about Pynchon, I'd guess making all his characters Jewish is a joke making fun of conspiracy theorists who see DA JOOS being responsible for all the world's ills and see every passerby on the street as a potential dirty-Jew-rat-bastard.
>>
pynchon, major jew-lover
>>
Lieutenant Weissmann (aka Blicero) is most definitely not a Jew.
>>
>>7981474
Does he chew the cud? Doesn't Slothrop?
>>
>>7981366

Pynchon is a Jew. Go figure.
>>
>>7981466
>I've never read V.,
clearly
>but from what I know about Pynchon,
next to nothing?
>>
What novels did Pynchon disown? Was it TCoL49?
>>
>He watched the sensual arch of her own nose. “You’re Orthodox? No. Conservative? Young people never are. My parents were Orthodox. They believe, I believe, that whatever your father is, as long as your mother is Jewish, you are Jewish too because we all come from our mother’s womb. A long unbroken chain of Jewish mothers going all the way back to Eve.”
>>
>>7981723
He didn't disown any. Some faggot anon keeps posting that on /lit/ to seem like he's got the insider scoop. He cites Slow Learner but Pynchon does nothing like disown Lot 49 there.
>>
>>7981692
I was going to post this exact thing
>>7981466
>I'd guess making all his characters Jewish is a joke making fun of conspiracy theorists who see DA JOOS
O my god this post made me laugh, I haven't cringed so hard in awhile. Lawd.
>>
>>7981366
Read his other books and you'll realise Pynchon is a jewaboo
>>
>>7981366
Uhh...he allegedly wrote the nose-job chapter because his Jewish ex-gf broke up with him because he's Catholic.
>>
>>7981366

Fuck this book sucked ass.
>>
>>7982209
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>7981474
He might be Ashkenazi tho
>>
>>7982211
I took some good things from it but I was bored a lot more often than I was thrilled or intrigued.

For example the Namibia chapters were based as fuck and hella evocative, as were the sewer chapters. As for the Crew, the sailors and a lot of Stencil's accounts?

Complete snooze fest.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.