[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Novels that end with the protagonist or a main character becoming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: fmj.jpg (7 KB, 299x169) Image search: [Google]
fmj.jpg
7 KB, 299x169
Novels that end with the protagonist or a main character becoming 'broken' or greatly more cynical?

Thinking along the lines of Full Metal Jacket here, if that helps.
>>
South of the Border, West of the Sun
Anna Karenina (Vronsky)
Disgrace
Gravity's Rainbow (Slothrop, not sure this is quite what you're going for though)
>>
The Brothers Karamazov and The Idiot
>>
>>7980688
People always mock 1984 for being "entry-level" or a high school book but personally I found the protagonist's time in the ministry of truth horrifying and really powerful.

The ending as well was oddly emotional in its own way
>>
The Great Gatsby
>>
>>7980869
1984 is a novel that rewards returns. Most /lit/izens are memed out of repeat reads.
>>
>>7980650
american psycho
>>
Beneath the Wheel.
>>
>>7980688
Is South of the Border, West of the Sun any good? I'm currently trying to decide whether to read it or to skip - just finished Norwegian Wood (which is first book by Murakami I've read) and it was weird... Not sure I want more of the same, if it's similar.
>>
it ain't me
>>
>>7982940
It's pretty good for a short Murakami novel, but the Wind-Up Chronicle is infinitely better
>>
>>7982946
Well, I have that on my to-read list too.
>>
Every Lovecraft book.
>>
>>7980869
Agreed, it's good, better than BNW
>>
File: pepe unimpressed.jpg (7 KB, 250x241) Image search: [Google]
pepe unimpressed.jpg
7 KB, 250x241
>>7980650
>Thinking along the lines of Full Metal Jacket here, if that helps.

The short timers
>>
Everyone is broken in Under the Volcano. Far and away the best depiction of spiraling depression amd alcoholism I've ever read.
>>
The Good Soldier
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>7984637
Literally came in here to post this
>>
Revolutionary road
>>
File: hardrainfalling.jpg (26 KB, 281x450) Image search: [Google]
hardrainfalling.jpg
26 KB, 281x450
>>
Jude the Obscure
The Return of the Native
>>
>>7980650
Darconville's Cat by Alexander Theroux
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.