[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>one of the only good Christian writers since 1950 >everyone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
>one of the only good Christian writers since 1950
>everyone else is a hardcore fedora tipping atheist
>tfw he had drug problems, threw a table at Mary Karr, and committed suicide

Why are so few modern authors of literary merit Christians?
>>
>>7980260
There are few modern authors of literary merit regardless of religion.

Either way there is also Gaddis.
>>
Pynchon's catholic.
>>
>>7980260
Cause no discernible talent.
>>
He wasn't Christian..
>>
Pynchon, Updike, and Borges are all superior famalam
>>
>>7980287
his family was historically protestant so that's hard to believe
>>
I know I am taking the bait but he was never religious just spiritual
>>
I've read that both of his parents were atheists, so did DFW ever discuss his reasons for becoming religious? Maybe it was the Alcoholics Anonymous.
>>
dfw is christian?

no wonder he sucks so much
>>
>>7980290
>>7980297
DFW was a church-going mennonite.

And he almost certainly believed in the christian God, as anyone that doesn't willfully bury their head in the sand should.
>>
>>7980301
he talks about going to church for the sense of community and dancing
he without a doubt did believe in some form of higher power
Even AA was a meditation on how spirituality affects people lives
"The only thing that I knew for sure, I wanted to do something that wasn’t just high comedy, I wanted to do something that was very, very much about America. And the things that ended up for me being most distinctively American right now, around the millennium, had to do with both entertainment and about some kind of weird, addictive, um … wanting to give yourself away to something. That I ended up thinking was kind of a distorted religious impulse. And a lot of the AA stuff in the book was mostly an excuse, was to try to have—it’s very hard to talk about people’s relationship with any
kind of God, in any book later than like Dostoyevsky. I mean the culture, it’s all wrong for it now. You know? No, no. Plausibly realistic characters don’t sit around talking about this stuff. You know?
So … I don’t know. But the minute I start talking about it, it just, it sounds number one: very vague. Two: really reductive. And the whole thing to me was so complicated, that you know it took sixteen hundred pages of sort of weird oblique stuff to even start to talk about it. And so I feel stupid, talking about it."
>>
File: image.jpg (126 KB, 686x385) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
126 KB, 686x385
>>7980302
I hope you know you're literally the most insufferable person I've ever heard of
>>
>>7980314
Interesting.
>>
>>7980260
There have been authors of literary merit since the 50s?
>>
Endo, Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Joyce, Tolkien, Toole, Broch, Wolfe, Updike
>>
>>7980287
Anon always be baiting with the same lies
>>
>>7980315
but you have heard of me
>>
>>7980260
>implying DFW was a theist in anything remotely approaching the traditional sense

God, this is awful bait. You godposters are actually far more shitposty and obnoxious than the neckbeard atheists you rant about.
>>
>>7980382
It's on his wiki
>>
>>7980540
It says this in some Esquire or Vice article too
>>
>>7980409
Known retard
>>
David Foster Wallace grabbed on to anything that he imagined might help him - like a drowning man gropes for flotsam. His library was rife with self-help bullshit.
>>
>>7980287
>>7980540
>>7980678
That's how he was raised but, like his family's politics, it didn't last past his youth.
>>
>>7980351
>Hemingway
>>
>>7980760
this
>>
C.S Lewis
>>
>>7980772
Do you not like Hemingway? I thought A Farewell to Arms was good.
>>
>>7980351

The large majority of those authors are from the first half of the 20th century, not the latter half or the 21st century.
>>
>>7980302
Bella?
>>
>>7980293
but Borges said he was agnostic
>>
>>7980792
He was no christian. He become a catholic for a wife.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.