[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Walden; or, Life in the Woods
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Walden_Thoreau.jpg (490 KB, 1360x2292) Image search: [Google]
Walden_Thoreau.jpg
490 KB, 1360x2292
What are your thoughts on this lit? Did anyone love it or hate it, and if so why? I'm in the process of reading it right now and while I think that there is a lot of interesting content it is presented in a very unengaging way.
>>
File: reverieofasolitarywalker.jpg (119 KB, 325x500) Image search: [Google]
reverieofasolitarywalker.jpg
119 KB, 325x500
Piggyback question, somewhat related.

Has anyone read Reveries of a Solitary Walker, and did you like it?
Bump.
>>
Shit. Emerson is superior by far.
>>
>>7980173
Could you elaborate as to why you think it's shit and why I should read Emerson instead?
>>
>>7980183
First tell me what it is you hope to get out of Walden. It might not be bad for you, depending on what you want.
>>
>>7980192
I was reading it because I've seen it discussed before and hoped it would offer some form of insight, I didn't really go into it knowing what I wanted
>>
>>7980211
>and hoped it would offer some form of insight
Yeah, read Emerson. Thoreau's philosophy is juvenile
>>
>>7980226
I'm spreading my cheeks and powering through the remaining half just so I don't fall short of my monthly book quota. Any particular books you would recommend for entry into Emerson?
>>
>>7980138
literal trash

i remember i wrote a paper essentially calling thoreau a classic /r9k/ neckbeard and the instructor was throughly pissed lel
>>
I read it in high school for a class and was one of the few who enjoyed it. Most of them complained about "le white man problems" and stuff of that nature.

Pretty comfy read nevertheless.

The philosophy is, as previously stated, juvenile. I remember thinking "wow, I've previously expressed these exact sentiments to myself!" when I read it.
>>
I really liked it when I was 17, haven't read it for a few years though.
>>
>>7980886
kek
>>
>>7980886
kek when I started reading it I told one of my friends it reads like a NEET manifesto
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.