[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've never seen this book discussed here, anybody read it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1
File: eveninglonggoodbyes.jpg (18 KB, 200x322) Image search: [Google]
eveninglonggoodbyes.jpg
18 KB, 200x322
I've never seen this book discussed here, anybody read it?

Seems really up /lit/'s alley. It's about a wealthy young man who thinks of himself as an aristocrat and mostly lounges and drinks and smokes all day. Then, of course, he gets thrust into the modern world and gets into hilarious jams and whatnot. And there's a weird incestuous subplot where he's subconsciously in love with his sister. The jacket describes the protagonist as "part Bertie Wooster, with a dash of Ignatius J. Reilly thrown in." Right up /lit/'s alley, right?

The quality of the writing is what really makes it such a blast, though. Not many books make me cackle while reading. A fairly random passage:

>"he does look like a burglar, Bel, you have to admit. I mean, look at him."
>We turned our attention to the figure on the floor. He wore a denim jacket, a grubby white shirt, and nondescript brown shoes. He was very large and, in some unplaceable way, lump. His head, however, was what really fascinated me. It resembled some novice potter's first attempt at a soup tureen, bulbous and pasty, with one beetling eyebrow, a stubbly jaw, and less than the full complement of teeth; to describe his ears as asymmetrical would be to do asymmetry a disservice.
>>
Hey OP I've read this and I didn't enjoy it. The humour is just too tame and predictable. It's clever but in a way that gets boring. It's desperate to keep you entertained, which I find rather dull. Confederacy of Dunces is so funny because you can just tell that the author (Toole) is investing his own personality into this eccentric figure ("Rape her!") but Murray is just ticking all the boxes and making a 'wacky' story and trying to keep you reading from line to line. Also is that excerpt really funny? I don't know, maybe I've just been on 4chan but I find it rather dull. It's basically mocking a guy that looks weird in a style of writing that is humorously antiquated etc.
Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.