[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
philosophy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: art-353-Books-Letch-200x0.jpg (16 KB, 200x269) Image search: [Google]
art-353-Books-Letch-200x0.jpg
16 KB, 200x269
hey /lit/, how do I into modern/postmodern philosophy? I want to read Spinoza, Hobbes, Hegel, Kierkegaard, ultimately Bataille, Lyotard, Deleuze. I keep pickip up these guys, fail miserably to understand shit and feel like shit afterwards.
>>
File: Face-book.jpg (92 KB, 351x441) Image search: [Google]
Face-book.jpg
92 KB, 351x441
>>7979677
>eel like shit afterwards.
You picked the wrong philosophers.

Read Epicurus, Strirner and Nietzsche. Best in my opinion.
>>
>>7979694
OP here, I've read Epicurus, really neat stuff, however Stirner seems not so accessible. I've heard that he works strictly in Hegel's tradition, should I start with him?
>>
File: Derrida Farms.jpg (211 KB, 500x480) Image search: [Google]
Derrida Farms.jpg
211 KB, 500x480
>>7980015
That's who he studied under, as I understand it.
It all depends on how deep into philosophy you want to go. Me, not so much, so a cursory look is good enough for me. Stirner's ideas seem rather simple though.
>>
Read Descartes's meditations and objections and replies, then Hume's Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding. Don't just read through them, but try to engage with the arguments as you read. This will take a lot of time.

Drop the pomo.
>>
File: 1433635404973.png (11 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1433635404973.png
11 KB, 640x480
>>7979694
>how to get into modern philosophy
>read epicurus
>>
>>7980235
Moderns are wrong to get into. My opinion.
>>
Keep in mind that Deleuze and other post-modernist philosophers are just a secret guide to fucking monogamous couples and you'll be pretty much good.

Once you figure that out a lot of parts that seemingly didn't make sense, start to make a lot of sense, and even the parts that don't make sense are still sexually provocative.
>>
>>7979677
Philosophy is not something you just blow through like a pulpy fiction novel. You have to be willing to struggle with it a little and fail to understand things on first reading. That said, you will not understand Hegel without Kant, who requires you to know Hume and probably Descartes. With that core you can start moving into newer philosophers. The only guy who stands well on his own in the 19th century is Nietzsche (though you should be familiar with the Greeks for him since he spends most of his time engaging their ideas)

Once and only once you have those figures down should you explore outside of them.
>>
>>7980572
I didn't intend to say that I want an easy way to philosophy, the post just sounded frustrated because I felt like I needed some guidance regarding the ground works. Thank you anon :)
>>
Im new to philosophy but im interested in modern philosphers. Do i have to start w the greeks or is that just a meme?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.