[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just started lurking here. Whats the opinion on kindles here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1448386770340.jpg (294 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
1448386770340.jpg
294 KB, 1500x1000
I just started lurking here. Whats the opinion on kindles here?
>>
>>7979301
Excellent paired with Calibre and a working knowledge of book piracy.

People will remind you, as well as I, to download nice editions of your favorite authors/books to keep on your shelf and make you look very guff and artsy to guests.
>>
There's almost always one of these threads in the catalog. Since you just started lurking I won't call you a faggot.

I love mine. It's totally worth it. I concur with >>7979315
>>
>>7979315
I see people posting their physical libraries here and get jealous. Most of the time I can't find a physical copy of the books to buy here to add on to my library. They get more expensive too when shipped from overseas so I stick with my kindle. Guests are hardly a problem as no one ever comes in to my room but it would have been nice to have a neat looking book collection to post in /lit/ once in a while :)
>>
>>7979339
As a non-native reader, the built-in dictionary is a fucking god-sent. Alternatively, I like not having an idea of how far I'm in to the book. Makes reading large-ass books easier imo
>>
am I a pleb for using my Nexus table and Google Play?
>>
I really hate to shill, but my kindle is invaluable to me
Its great being able to download any public domain book from Gutenberg, get a nice cover automatically in Calibre, and be able to have a dictionary, also the x-ray function helps for Pynchon or Dostoyevsky books where you forget which character is doing what (only for amazon store books though)
>>
>>7979394
Is X-ray just a wikipedia synopsis of a given character? I never used it
>>
>>7979355
Yes.
>>
>>7979301

Ereaders in general: they have their place; I'm not interested in the 'ebooks vs. physical books' false dichotomy.
As for Kindles in particular, I don't like how they don't support the ePub format, which is the open/universal format. It's a ploy by Amazon to lock customers in to their ecosystem. Yes, it's easy to convert with Calibre, but the large majority of customers aren't informed or savvy or industrious enough for that. (I have a five-year-old Nook.)
>>
>>7979400

Pretty much, yes. Sometimes it's an excerpt from Wikipedia, sometimes it's just a few lines from where the character was introduced. It's also available offline, unlike Wikipedia.
>>
>>7979301
never liked them at all desu
I prefer physical books even if it's less practical
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.