[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've realised that writing a book on my own twenty-something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: received_999764113451055.jpg (27 KB, 500x417) Image search: [Google]
received_999764113451055.jpg
27 KB, 500x417
I've realised that writing a book on my own twenty-something musings is utterly futile because no one gives a shit, and I write for my own pleasure, but I also want to write something that people will read.

So I thought, to get people to read your shit, it has to be on some interesting topic, and why not a spin-off on current events? Like the refugee crisis? And I don't mean in as some zombie invasion, but more a political thriller observing the stages of a society that breaks down and has is a grim parody of current issues, worse case scenario, etc.

Would it be good, /lit/, would it?
>>
if you have to ask, probably not.

but good luck on your future career in masturbation.
>>
it doesn't sound bad
almost any topic is good to write about if your writting skills are good enough

just try it and see where it takes you
>>
>>7977988
>projecting

Not saying I could pull it off, but if someone wrote the likes of World War Z and posted it on /lit/, everyone would say it was shit, cliched and a useless addition to an already saturated genre.

Which is all true, but people actually spend money on this shit, and I like writing.

/lit/ where is the line between being patrician and being a sell-out?
>>
>>>/pol/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpJoMuuE3Eg
>>
What kind of musings are you talking about? Random thoughts or have you connected them into a narrative with conflict?
>>
>>7978021
I can't substantiate that claim because I have never read WWZ. But I like zombies. It doesn't take much to make a good zombie story. Their quality is almost independent of writing ability and story. Part of it is the love of gore. There is also something endlessly fascinating about the subversion of resurrection, which is meant to be a beautiful and transcendental experience. It's more to me than an allegory of xenophobia.
>>
File: killall.png (866 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
killall.png
866 KB, 1280x800
>>7977970
>writing a book on my own twenty-something musings is utterly futile
>>
every damn person has musings.
who the hell wants to read someones musings?

write a story that people will actually want to read.

ps. no one cares about current events.
>>
>>7978225
Yeah, I mean as in a future novel, you can't deny there is a massive public consciousness surrounding the state of Europe right now. As with all those sci-fi novels that were based on Soviets vs USA
>>
>>7977970
I feel like it's best to leave novel-writing until you're at least in your mid thirties. Looking through our canon, there are few works written by people who didn't have some kind of serious experience dealing with some aspect of the world. Obviously there are exceptions, but Moby-Dick could never have been written by a teenager, no matter how literarily talented they were. Short stories, poetry, and non-fiction on specific areas don't require the same sort of broad connection with and understanding of the world that novels do.

but then again i'm 19 and i write like a fucking psycho so take it all with a truckload of salt
>>
Most great works of literature are editorials on their own time. Just as long as its precise enough to push a reader to making a connection but vague enough to not be an outright metaphor.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.