[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where can I find some good hard-boiled fiction? Any recommendations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: dicktracy.jpg (81 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
dicktracy.jpg
81 KB, 1280x720
Where can I find some good hard-boiled fiction? Any recommendations / essential works or authors for a beginner to the genre? I'm new and don't know where to start...
>>
Hammett and Chandler
>>
I would like to know this as well. I love me some good gum shoe books with a noire flair
>>
>>7977882
Dashiell Hammett & Raymond Chandler... got it. Anything by them in particular?
>>
>>7977957
The Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep.
>>
Definitely Red Harvest. IIRC it was the inspiration of Yojimbo and A Fistful of Dollars.
>>
I'd appreciate some recommendations too. I've already read Red Harvest and Maltese Falcon by Hammett, The Postman Always Rings Twice and Double Indemnity by Cain, and The Big Sleep by Chandler.

OP, any of those would be worth checking out as a starter point, all really good.
>>
>>7978001
John D. MacDonald
Ross Macdonald
>>
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1lWEfuIVzDfEw4hL9YOQrCto7jLyrpzM
>>
Not quite hard boiled but my favorite beat poet is Gregory Corso - just might be your cup of tea.

Check out "Hair" or "Marriage"
>>
>>7978001
How well do you think Bogart played Spade?
>>
>>7978074
Wrong for the part. Bogart's a romantic, a softie at heart, and Spade was exactly the opposite.
>>
>>7978078
Jesus christ. What an awful post. Casablanca ruined another one.
>>
>>7978080
In The Maltese Falcon film, Bogart's Spade almost lets his feelings for the girl get the better of him. In the book, this is never even a possibility. "I won't play the sap for you," he coolly says over and over.
>>
>>7978074
I don't know, I haven't seen the film. Is it good?
>>
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uieM18rZdHY
>>
>>7977878
The Big Sleep
The Maltese Falcon
Black Dahlia
>>
>>7978103
thanks!
>>
>>7978001
the last good kiss by crumley is great
>>
Andrew Vachss is pretty good.
>>
The Martin Beck series is fucking amazing
>>
File: Murakami.jpg (826 KB, 1936x1936) Image search: [Google]
Murakami.jpg
826 KB, 1936x1936
>>7977878
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami. It's fucking excellent.
>>
>>7977878
GUn for Hire by Greene
>>
Must I read detective fiction before reading the new york trilogy?
>>
Has anyone read Philip Kerr's book? Berlin Noir looks interesting
>>
James Ellroy is GOAT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTUskczudYg
>>
>>7979258
Which is hs best?
>>
Derek Raymond's books are the best detective fiction I've ever read, and goddamn /lit/.

The New York Trilogy is great too, and if you're in for more "genre" experience Lansdale's Hap & Leonard series is pretty cool, as is the Watch series by Pratchett.
>>
>>7977878

The Killers by Hemingway is gen considered the establishing text

Strictly speaking "hard boiled" is q a narrow genre/timeframe

Raoul Whitfield is one of the more interesting lesser known hard boiled writers

Broadening the field to Noir :

Eliot Chaze- Black Wings has my Angel
Jean-Patrick Manchette- The Prone Gunman
Jim Thompson- Pop 1280

are a few good books IMO

>>7979850

The first three Factory novels are fine indeed.
>>
File: image.png (656 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
656 KB, 640x1136
>>7978074
He does Phillip Marlowe better than anyone else though. Spade seems a. Little "softer boiled" than Marlowe
>>
>>7979906
pleb question, but what's the difference between hard boiled and noir?
>>
>>7980252
Noir = atmosphere is grim, dark, and/or nihilistic
Hardboiled = characters are tough-minded and masculine; plot is action-oriented
>>
https://youtu.be/3957SX2cuNQ
>>
>>7980495
woah, have anything else like this???
>>
>>7978074
best part of The Maltese Falcon is the homo villains, Sydney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre and the gunsel kid.
The broad's not bad either.
>>
File: tracerbullet.jpg (512 KB, 700x1460) Image search: [Google]
tracerbullet.jpg
512 KB, 700x1460
>>
>>7977878
Dashiell Hammett.
>>
>>7977878
Are you a woman? Because women read mystery.
>>
>>7980252
Hard Boiled was mostly written prior to WWII and was pulpy to some extent. Noir was written post WWII and was able to tap into the emotions/sentiments of those who just experienced war. Those this guy got the basic description down.>>7980299
>>
>>7981074
There are no girls on the internet.
>>
The businnes of dying, by Simon Kernick
>>
I know it is a bit of a stretch, but The New York Trilogy is a great piece of detective fiction. Paul Auster manages to write mystery in a compelling, atmospheric and meta way; I've never read anything like that before him.

Reccomended.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.