[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Opinions on Slaughterhouse 5? I read it not too long ago and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: 5.jpg (26 KB, 304x500) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
26 KB, 304x500
Opinions on Slaughterhouse 5? I read it not too long ago and I absolutely loved it. What do you all think?
>>
>>7977137
reddit general?
>>
>>7977137
>>7977140

it's a good story by a popular author
if you let the community/fans of a certain thing limit your enjoyment of that thing you'll miss out on a lot of good works
>>
File: ss+(2016-03-31+at+12.22.02).jpg (46 KB, 570x663) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-03-31+at+12.22.02).jpg
46 KB, 570x663
>>7977140
Yeah man,
Daily reminder that books are subjective and we can all be friends. Just because someone reads Dairy of a Wimpy does not mean they are any less of a reader than someone who reads John Green or Harry Potter :)
>>
it was funny when he was stuck to the fence or some shit. read it line 10 years ago
>>
File: on slaughterhouse5.png (52 KB, 1157x248) Image search: [Google]
on slaughterhouse5.png
52 KB, 1157x248
>>
>>7977170
Yeah, that sums up my thoughts on it pretty well.
>>
>>7977140
>look mom! im shitposting!
>>
>>7977137
I think /lit/ tends to hate anything remotely popular. This is a great book though. It's not long or pretentious or especially deep, but it's entertaining and still means something to a lot of people who read it.
>>
File: 1312324719320.jpg (35 KB, 582x329) Image search: [Google]
1312324719320.jpg
35 KB, 582x329
I got memed into reading it. I'm confused is it supposed to be a good book? I would say it was mediocre at best, does it have some hidden meaning I'm not aware of ?
>>
>>7977580
>I'm confused
As in you are currently confused?
As in you are still reading?
>>
>>7977170
This is what I came to recently
>>
>>7977140
You can like things people you dislike like.
Have you read Slaughterhouse Five?
>>
>>7977137
It's redditcore (essentialy 'alt' highschoolcore)
/r/books would love to talk about it with you
>>
>>7977563
>I think /lit/ tends to hate anything remotely popular
/lit/ only reads canonical works, to a fault, what is more popular than that?
>>
Just reminded me how good Catch-22 is.
>>
>>7977137
My honest opinion is that it was unimpressive. It lacks depth, prose and quality.

Open your copy on a random page and tell me how many times Vonnegut starts a paragraph or sentence with either "Billy.." or "Billy Pilgrim...".
Intentional or not it's repetitive and unimaginative and not at all creative.

It's easily accessible and therefor have grown popular to the general masses. It's a fun concept with quirky parts that made me smirk, but overall it was a let down because of the incredibly dull prose. I think it could have been done better by another author, but whatever.

>>7977563
A book can be popular and still liked by /lit/. it's not about it being popular, it's about why it's popular and which target group made it popular. /lit/ likes popular authors, but only the actually quality ones.
>>
>>7980025
>A book can be popular and still liked by /lit/.
this is true. Nabakov's Lolita sold millions of copies. Cormack McCarthy is one of the best selling authors of the last 10 years. Dostoevsky and Tolstoy are hands down the best selling Russians. All super popular on this board.
>>
I liked Vonnegut's interview on Second Life.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.