[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nature Fiction
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: Church_Heart_of_the_Andes.jpg (3 MB, 3787x2080) Image search: [Google]
Church_Heart_of_the_Andes.jpg
3 MB, 3787x2080
Can you recommend some good nature based fiction books? Like a fictitious walden
>>
Thomas Hardy includes a lot of nature and its effcts in his novels. It's not man vs wild, but if you're only searching for vivid descriptions of nature, and of people in nature, then he is worth checking out.

Start with Under the Greenwood Tree.
>>
LotR ;^)
>>
Ed Abbey has some good books, only read his non-fiction though.
>>
>>7976701
also, you could probably ask /out/, they're always discussing what are the best /out/ novels, films, documentaries, etc.
>>
File: 24440_382011153312.jpg (133 KB, 690x690) Image search: [Google]
24440_382011153312.jpg
133 KB, 690x690
>>7976701
Growth of the Soil - Knut Hamsun
Epic about the turnings of time as some guy tends his farm and shit. Very good book won a Nobel prize. Hamsun's yearning for nature was nowhere stronger except maybe in his third novel Pan

The Drowned World and The Day of Creation - J. g. Ballard
Dense hallucinatory imagery of overgrown jungle environments. Themes of ecological
disaster and the anthropocene are present but submerged under vivid descriptions of the landscape.
>>
Not sure if it's the kind of nature you're looking for, but a lot of Camus' early essays, like Noces and L'Envers et l'Endroit, and his first (unpublished) novel, Le Mort Heureuse, are a bit obsessed with nature.
>>
>>7976701
Check out Knut Hamsun. His books (in particular Pan and Growth of the Soil) deal with characters that essentially live in states of self-imposed exile, and they really powerfully connect with the relationship between man and nature. They were written in the early 1900s though, so they likely don't present the same bulwark against modernity that you're looking for. Maybe try Faulkner's Go Down Moses for that. It connects with the themes a little more indirectly, but it's a brilliant book and one of my favourites.

I also highly recommend the music of Drudkh for anybody interested in those themes explored in popular music.
>>
>>7978259
>>7978262

Not OP but I've read Hunger by Knut Hamsun and never checked out his other work, this is interesting.

also
>literally a nazi

there is a another Norwegian I read (non-fiction) called Thor Heyerdahl, not fiction but his life was amazing if you're interested in living naked on a paradise island in the middle of the pacific.
>>
>>7976701
Try The Greenlanders by Jane Smiley.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.