[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it a bad idea to read two books at once? I am in the middle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1449738867342.jpg (256 KB, 1220x2046) Image search: [Google]
1449738867342.jpg
256 KB, 1220x2046
Is it a bad idea to read two books at once? I am in the middle of Moby Dick, but just got Lolita in the mail.
>>
Quit reading Moby Dick and read it when you feel ready. You won't be able to put down Lolita anyways.
>>
>>7976059
I usually read 3-4 books at once. Only one novel though. The others are usually psychology, philosophy, or education books.
>>
It's a bad idea to read two books that are similar to each other. Everything I've read recommends reading things in different genres, be it fiction & non-fiction or fictional drama and comedy. Otherwise you'll get burned out.
>>
>>7976065
I've been intrigued by Lolita for months, and now that I'm holding in my hand I don't think I can put it off. I think I'll read Moby Dick this summer when I go to the sea.

>>7976092
>>7976076
Good point. I feel like both of these books require a great deal of investment, and it may make properly retaining information impossible if I just jump between stories randomly
>>
Lolita isn't incredibly long, and will probably keep you reading at a good pace.
I see no reason you shouldn't be able to read Lolita and then jump right back into Moby Dick after.
I read multiple books at once, it keeps me from getting bored. Something like Miby Dick, which I am also in the middle of, makes me need a break once in a while.
>>
At the moment i'm reading Wallace, Pessoa, Auster, Aristotle, Saramago and entry-level lit theory. No problemos except too little time.
>>
>>7976429
How well do you retain all of that? How long in between sessions?
>>
>>7976059
>in the middle of moby dick
It's finally about to get good. Don't distract yourself with another novel.
>>
>>7976065
>>7976139
>>7976250
Stop bashing the Dick plebs, Melville destroys anything Nabokov ever wrote with this
>>
>>7976868
Literally nobody did.
>>
>>7976868
I wasn't saying it was bad, just that I can't read it very quickly and need to take breaks.
Moby Dick is tangent after tangent with long sentences, and packed with references which makes it tiring.
>>
>>7976805
I usually read in 1 to 2 hour segments which i scatter throughout the day so i don't mix thing up, and before i engage in a session i recap what's happened in the book and check my notes if I've made any.
>>
I believe reading a book is something akin to a religious experience, so holding yourself faithful to the fiction is part of the experience you have with it. However, I feel free to read at least one non-fiction book while I read a fiction book, to keep things fresh. Sometimes I also throw in a short-story a day, too.
>>
>>7978360
Short stories in the bath/before bed. It's nice to be able to start and finish something before you go to sleep.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.