[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good books that aren't structured linearly?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
What are some good books that aren't structured linearly? they don't have to specifically be considered postmodern, i'm just looking for books that present their plot in a non-traditional/experimental way. for me these are some of the more captivating types of books to read because their unpredictability keeps me continuously wondering about what could happen next, which is a rare feeling when you have an attention span that's only very slightly longer than that of a small rodent. i don't even mind if the novel is sort of gimmicky (house of leaves) in going about the deconstruction of traditional literature, so long as the author is doing something that's truly unconventional.
>>
Try Brautigan, his novels are often chronologically linear but so acid-scattered that they come off otherwise while remaining cohesive. In Watermelon Sugar especially.
>>
Tristram Shandy, In the Labyrinth
>>
Anything by Calvino
>>
>>7974738
Goosebumps: Give Yourself Goosebumps series
>>
>>7974738
Double or Nothing by Raymond Federman.
>>
>>7974738
Peace by Gene Wolfe
>>
>>7974738
Most of the great works of Faulkner are at least somewhat like this. Particularly:

The Sound and the Fury
Absalom, Absalom!
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.