[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark Tower Series
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: Dark_Tower_Concept_Artwork.jpg (103 KB, 1024x1457) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Tower_Concept_Artwork.jpg
103 KB, 1024x1457
Just finished reading The Gunslinger. I've heard that this is by far the worst book in the series. Does it get that much better? I'm already not crazy about King. Also, are they in Purgatory or what?
>>
Lol who told you that?
The Gunslinger is probably the best book in the series. Maybe Wizard and Glass if you have already bought into the characters.
It mostly gets worse as it goes, and some of the books are downright awful.
>>
>>7974460
I've only read the first four, way back when that was all there was. I enjoyed it at the time, but is it worth finishing or should I just preserve the memories of the series that I have?
>>
>>7974454
>Purgatory

Nah, m8. You sure you finished reading it?
>>
>>7974483
I'm not into fantasy anymore but back in the day I read the whole series and the first 4 is the "good" part.
Books 5-7 felt like I was punishing myself. Everything goes off the rails. Stephen King literally writes himself into the story.
>>
The gunslinger was written more as a short story. I think it was good. But a bit too space or artsy. No they aren't in purgatory. Also you may want to read some other king books. Like the stand it and salems lot. There are charecters that have their parts in this world. Book 2 was my favorite I think.
>>
Also they are in purgatory
>>
>>7974554
Are they? I've only read Gunslinger, but I was pretty sure Gilead (or whatever the world Gilead is in is called) was just in a different Universe. If anything's Purgatory, it'd be the Tower itself, wouldn't it?
>>
>>7974460
This.

The first and the fourth are my favourites by far.
>>
>>7974561
You'd have to read until the final twist at the end to understand why someone would say that they're in Purgatory.
>>
>King garbage

I thought this board was about literature
>>
>>7974618
you can tell this guy started with the greeks
>>
>>7974618
At least this thread is sincere and has a clear topic of discussion. It sure as hell beats listening to pseuds pretend to know what they're talking about and how terrible [insert famous author] was for the 1000th time.
>>
>>7974618
what's so bad about king?

these books are exciting.
>>
>>7974671
It's not literature
>>
>>7974679
sure it is.
>>
>>7974684
No, it really isn't
>>
>>7974689
It really is.
>>
>>7974618
Sick meme, bro. Your memes are out of control, everyone knows that.
>>
>>7974618
Considering the thread that easily has the most posts right now is the /soc/ thread, maybe you should step back and think things over first.
>>
At any rate, the later books have a different feel to them but I wouldn't claim that the first one is the worst, far from it.

The second is the one that, to my knowledge, has received the most recognition and praise, and it is my least favourite.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.