[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Philip Dwyer's biography the number 1 book on Napoleon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1446456621874.jpg (422 KB, 617x798) Image search: [Google]
1446456621874.jpg
422 KB, 617x798
Is Philip Dwyer's biography the number 1 book on Napoleon?
>>
Roberts gets a lot of respect around here but I haven't read either.

Chandler is a more specific and advanced text if you want to know more about Napoleon's actual battles, with diagrams, troop counts, etc.
>>
>>7974431
got anything to say about dwyer?
>>
>>7974468
Never read him but I have a buddy who loved his "path to power." Apparently it's a great intro to the non-military aspects of Napoleon, and focuses on his politics and then his propaganda.
>>
>>7975137
so would you say dwyer for politics and chandler for military and robert for an overall view?
>>
>>7974265
i think vincent cronin has the best biography on Napoleon
>>
>>7975909
Again I haven't read Dwyer or Roberts, but yes that's the vibe I get, considering that Roberts is known for having including in his studies something like 10,000 of Napoleon's letters.

Chandler is undeniably the authority on the military aspect. You can find an ebook no problem, but you will quickly find that you NEED a print copy, because the diagrams are frequent, crucial, and painfully small and inaccessible in the ebook. Used ones are about $40-50 on ebay/abebooks.

For what it's worth I intend to read Roberts before Dwyer. Absolutely do not read Chandler as your first step for Napoleon. I made that mistake and will probably have to reread it after gaining some proper context.
>>
>>7974265

If I had the money I would buy this one:

https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/film/all/04973/facts.stanley_kubricks_napoleon_the_greatest_movie_never_made.htm
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.