[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cliches that have been done to death: The protagonist in a coming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
Cliches that have been done to death:

The protagonist in a coming of age story discovers a Playboy/adult magazine. Terrible, lazy writing.

What are some other eyerollingly overused tropes?
>>
That's not really cliché, that's something that used to happen. It happened to me.
>>
>>7974008
Me too but it is nevertheless a lazy and absurdly overdone method of representing a character's sexual awakening.
>>
>>7974020
What brought it to mind was that this was recently done on Better Call Saul (a show that typically features excellent writing) in a flashback sequence wherein the main character witnesses his meek, gullible father be conned out of money, after which the conman lectures him about the dog eat dog nature of the world, leading him to despise his father and steal a few dollars out of his wallet. His discovery of the adult magazine took place immediately before all of this, juxtaposing his sexual awakening with his subsequent moral corruption. I had to roll my eyes. It was the first time I really recognized the trope for what it was, despite the fact that it was employed in an otherwise good scene in a good show.
>>
I fucking hate it when the protagonist first describes themselves in a novel by looking in a mirror and "examining their reflection." It's such a dumb, unnecessary setup. Tell me what you look like nigga. I don't mind. You don't need an excuse.
>>
>>7974103
BUT YOU GOTTA SHOW NOT TELL :^^^))))))
>>
File: uCF3CWiI.jpg (42 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
uCF3CWiI.jpg
42 KB, 400x400
>wet hair
>"plastered" to his face
>>
>>7974020
One that always makes my eyes roll is people who don't know what absurd means but insist on using it anyways.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.