[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I keep seeing people misspell "heroin" as "heroine".
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1333230988093.jpg (340 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1333230988093.jpg
340 KB, 1600x1200
I keep seeing people misspell "heroin" as "heroine".

Is this part of our patriarchal society? Subtly misspelling words, to conflate horrible drugs with accomplished females?

What other words have this sort of misspellings?
>>
>>7973968
Hero was the girl, OP. Leander's the boy. They both died.

Heroin comes from the German "heroisch" combined with pharmaceutical branding conventions.

Heroine is just a result of Atticizing and Victorian flourish: especially heroḯne, a modern Greek cognate for heroin.

People confuse the three because they're retarded like you. You should write "these sorts" not "this sort".
>>
>>7974037
>Insulting a woman because she points out sexism.
>>
>>7974047
>thinking I'm not a grill
So because I'm a woman I can't be right about your retarded ass? Retarded desu
>>
>>7974037
Btfo *blows airhorn*
>>
File: cant handle your shit.png (642 KB, 606x565) Image search: [Google]
cant handle your shit.png
642 KB, 606x565
>muh patriarchy

Like fucking poetry, lads.
>>
>>7974037
Why should it be "these sorts"? It's one sort of misspelling, exemplified by OP. Am I wrong?
>>
>>7973968
most obvious answer is the most likely.

people are just dumb. real dumb. and they are lucky to be able to spell words at all. And of the big one is that the spell-check doesn't put a red squiggly line under it so it must be right.
>>
>>7973968

This is awful b8 m8 wouldn't r8 8/8
>>
how long before we have to say personkind and statesperson and craftsperson and sportspersonship and hangperson and gunperson
>>
>>7974615
never because kids on the internet aren't a governing body outside canada
>>
>>7974163
You're right, but OP wrote:
>this sort of misspellings

(S)he should have either written
>this sort of misspelling
or
>these sorts of misspellings
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.