[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lemme walk you through the autistic mindset of the average person
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 141.jpg (7 KB, 141x212) Image search: [Google]
141.jpg
7 KB, 141x212
Lemme walk you through the autistic mindset of the average person on /lit/. Most are here to show off of their entry level barnes and noble hardcovers and other garbage that they paid $50 per book for and now they expect to be praised as "patricians" for owning these overpriced meem books.

furthermore you are terrified of dissenting opinions and people who like things they dont like thus the board has to be in isolation from "normies" or functioning adults who don't have autism and just like reading fun books with their friends.

and lastly this board has to circlejerk over how fucking superior they are compared to everyone else because they all profess the same circlejerk taste in books.
>>
this describes maybe 5% of /lit/.
you're the one who cares enough to write a whole paragraph about it, buddy. keep yelling at clouds though, if that's what makes you feel good.
>>
Barnes and noble hardcovers dont cost fifty dollars
>>
>>7972227
>>7972231
theres two already, nice
>>
>>7972231
Who the fuck reads books with their friends? You might read the same book and discuss it or swap books but no 1 reads in groups. What a freak and a spas you are OP.
>>
I dont even know what youre on about, you sound like you got made fun of for liking something shitty, but honestly we're not even that hostile to genre fiction, there are scifi and fantasy threads here all the time. Unless you like something even shittier like YA, in which case yes get out.
>>
>>7972250
Lol when OP has autism
>>
>>7972203
sad to see that the /v/ autism meme is being applied to reading books now

can't wait for "autist students" that get good grades or "autist workers" who are good at their jobs.
>>
>>7972203
I just finished Shipping Out. It's a pretty funny read, on the surface, but it's morbidly transfigured by DFW's suicide.

Every other page includes a note on self-elimination as a 'wry joke.' The ocean as a 'primordial stew of death and decay' is a running motif. The entire conceit of the piece is DFW-as-clever-neurotic 'seeing through' the corporate processes used to induce relaxation in cruisegoers.

DFW's go-to capsule synopsis of Jest called it an investigation into the purposes and limits of pleasure; its central device, a magical film that is so enjoyable it makes viewers want to do nothing else but watch the tape continuously.

It's stupid to try connecting authorial biographies to literary analysis and it's stupid to guess at contributing factors of a suicide. In the case of DFW it's incredibly difficult to respect these rules. The question animating his entire career was, 'why bother?'

In interviews, DFW comes off as maybe the gentlest author ever recorded. He's unfailingly patient, respectful, and soft-spoken. But in 'Shipping Out,' seated next to middle-aged, midwestern dining companions whom he professes to deeply like, he spends eight paragraphs deconstructing these peoples' foibles to hilarious effect.

Have you seen the Charlie Rose talk where DFW is seated opposite Franzen, his long-time friend and, at that time, much lesser rival? DFW is polite and deferential towards Rose. DFW cautiously qualifies his generalizations in case you think he's leaping to conclusions or putting words in your mouth. But then Franzen, his friend, says something pretty innocuous about literary fiction; that its fans are much less likely to spend time with lowbrow TV entertainment.

"So the only people who read serious fiction are people who don't watch TV?" Says DFW. He's looking directly down his nose at Franzen.

"No, no--...ah, thank you for drawing that out for me, Dave..."

"No, no. If I misheard, enlighten me," says DFW. There's no mistaking his tone for the quaint circumspection marking DFW's NPR appearances. He's telling Franzen to fuck right off.

I could keep going, but basically I agree with OP. I'll try DFW's fiction but I'd be shocked to discover he could render a character believable, broken, and also loveable. I think most of DFW's life was spent mistaking one cause of unhappiness for another and proving that hatred is a habit that you can conceal, but which is very hard to slow or break.
>>
>>7972203
I savour the irony that is 4chan.

Truly a joke turned self-fulfilled prophecy
>>
>>7972203
OP is the guy who made the lit YouTube channel
>>
File: 1454887446054.jpg (54 KB, 624x663) Image search: [Google]
1454887446054.jpg
54 KB, 624x663
I thought it was: I want to want to kill myself.
>>
>>7972203
t. some guy who unironically likes John Green and is upset that he got called a pleb
>>
>>7972203
butthurt normie lmao
>>
File: iqs.png (1 MB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
iqs.png
1 MB, 2000x2000
What's your home board mister?
>>
>>7972314
I think /lit/ is more interested in complaining about shitposting than doing anything to counteract it, like acknowledging a quality post like this.

A lot of people can relate to that theme of unhappiness and insecurity that Wallace seems to understand so well, and is reflected in his writing. If you read an essay like 'Big Red Son', you'll see that he had an uncanny ability to get inside the mind of absolutely pathetic and mentally broken people. Who knows where this ability came from, because he seemed to have a lot going for him, but eventually he overexercised it and it lead to his suicide. To be honest, I think it's surprising that he didn't off himself earlier. We were lucky that he published so much great literature before he went, because he had just as much of a chance as becoming a homeless junkie as he did an accomplished man.
>>
>>7974136
>>7972314
And he wasn't afraid of showing people the ugliness inside him, and that he wasn't perfect. His reaction to Franzen is an effect of that.
>>
>>7972203
poseurcore
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.