[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a strange request. I've never been able to get sci-fi
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: Batman_Beyond_soundtrack.png (354 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Batman_Beyond_soundtrack.png
354 KB, 500x500
I have a strange request. I've never been able to get sci-fi in any medium. I find that the settings are usually too nonsensical, like Star Wars or too heavily explained, like Star Trek.

That being said, as a kid I loved the setting and tone of the old television series, Batman Beyond. It was dark, clean and most of the technology was unexplained but easy to accept.

I know this isn't exactly /lit/ but does anyone have any books that are similar to this?
>>
I have no idea, but that's an excellent show. Take the bump, my friend.
>>
>>7971597
It actually holds up pretty well today. They were really onto something with that series.
>>
>>7971586
>kid
If TAS wasn't the batman you watched as a kid then you're still a kid.
>>
>>7971636
I watched TAS as well, and it was fantastic. I'm not saying Batman Beyond was my defining Batman cartoon, but that the setting was my favorite sci-fi setting.
>>
desperation bump
>>
Don't know about book-wise, but I would definitely recommend Looper. It's got a stylised yet subtle, plausible depiction of the future which sounds like what you're looking for
>>
Dune keeps the technobabble pretty minimal if I recall but the setting is fairly alien.

Snow Crash has some technobabble but it's actually oddly retro-futurist in what it decided to go with. Its weirdness lies more in how absurd a picture it paints, which could be a plus or minus I guess. Oh, and it can be kinda cringey at times. I dunno.

Those are two very random thoughts though.

You might have a similar issue to mine when it comes to sci-fi/fantasy which is that so many authors spend a tedious amount of time worldbuilding instead of getting on with their stories and building the world through narrative. If that's the case, I could just start listing all the sci-fi books I like
>>
>>7972636
That is definitely the case. I don't want to be beaten over the head with terms and statistics. I want to fall into a setting naturally and learn about the world as I go.
>>
>>7971586
I don't know if its aesthetic resembles Batman Beyond but try reading some Alfred Bester, The Demolished Man and The Stars My Destination are 10/10 SF novels with great plots and tons of style.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.